Sign in to follow this  
Tom Katzke

Recoating grit wheels

It has been awhile since I have used mine, but if I remember correctly the set came with one container of grit and another of bees wax. The instructions said to use Elmers glue or something similar, spread it over the edge of the wheel and then sprinkle the grit over that. Smooth with finger and allow to dry, shake off the excess (be sure to do this over some sort of paper so you can save it) and it is ready to use. Hope this helps.

That is what I thought but did not want to make a mess of it.

Thanks,

Tom

It has been awhile since I have used mine, but if I remember correctly the set came with one container of grit and another of bees wax. The instructions said to use Elmers glue or something similar, spread it over the edge of the wheel and then sprinkle the grit over that. Smooth with finger and allow to dry, shake off the excess (be sure to do this over some sort of paper so you can save it) and it is ready to use. Hope this helps.

I found all my tools and recoated the gritted wheel of our Razor Sharp Edge Making System. The tools I used were a stiff glue brush, an old artists paint brush, and a Grinding Wheel Dresser.

Because I never did use the wax and the wheel was in bad shape I used my Grinding Wheel Dresser to clean the felt wheel down to fresh paper. I do not think it is a needed step but now I have a true wheel to work with. If you do not know what this tools is I think you can still get them from Sears.

Next I used a stiff wet brush to spread the glue on the wheel. The brush I used is one like you can get at a hardware store for applying solder flux. I also have used them for applying glue in the shop.

Don't forget to put down a big enough piece of paper to catch the extra grit in this step. When the wheel is covered with an even layer of glue, pour on the grit while you rotate the wheel. Caution during this step. (The grit is fine and light so it could get in you grinder if there are any vent holes near the wheel. If in doubt remove the wheel or cover the vent holes to keep from getting abrasive in the bearings of your grinder.) After I covered the entire wheel I tapped the side of the wheel while rotating it to knock off the extra grit. I then coated it again to make sure all the glue was covered. I used a flat piece of steel pressed against the wheel to roll the wheel and push the grit into the glue.

Now it is time to clean up and wait for the glue to dry. Tap of the wheel again to get any loose grit off. Use an old artist paint brush to brush off any grit spilled on the grinder, don't forget the washers and nut next to the wheel. Put the grit container on a second piece of paper. Carefully pull out the paper and pour the extra grit back into the grit container. Use the same brush you cleaned the grinder with to make sure you get it all off the paper. If you spilled like I did move the grit container to the clean paper that was under the wheel and pour any spilled grit into the container. Put the top on the container and move to a safe place. Put the paper back under the wheel and when the glue is dry brush off the wheel and grinder once more.

Now the grit wheel is good as new. Just watch out as it will cut much better then it did before. Happy sharpening and don't forget to use the wax once and a while to get the most out of all this work.

Tom Katzke

Central Oregon