Tugadude

New Tool Line At Springfield Leather Co.

Stopped into SLC today on my way back to St. louis from Joplin, MO. In addition to some mindblowing $20 side specials they have some new tools for sale. Diamond point chisels, 6,4,2 and 1 prong in a nice size, not too big or too small. Also several strap punches and rounded corner punches. The kicker, all are very reasonably priced. I bought a couple chisels for less than $20.00. I'll get some punches next time through. A 1-1/4" strap end punch for under $10.00 is a deal IMHO. Especially for those of us that only use them occasionally.

For the price, I'll have to give them a try. At a glance I would guess the quality is around what we have been seeing on ebay for awhile, but if the cutting edges are decent may be a deal.

Glendon, I think you maybe right, those are the same cheap tools that have been floating around Ebay for some time now. The thing is, they are cheaper on Ebay with free shipping. You have to wait nearly a month to get them, then again if you purchase them from Springfield, if you have an issue you can always return them.

Karina

I havent tried them yet, but will soon. I'll report back. I'm thinking of polishing them just a bit to see if that improves them, but i'll give them some use as-is for awhile.

I have used them. I have the entire set of the round end punches, the English point end punches, and the chisels in several different sizes, all off Ebay which looks identical to what Springfield is now selling. They are cheap but they do what they are supposed to do. I did have to clean them up and sharpen them as they wouldn't cut air when I got mine, but after a bit of elbow grease, they work just fine.

Karina

+1 what Karina said. They polish up nice. work fine.IMHO

Ok, still haven't tried it on a project, but punched a few quick holes in some veg-tan. Compared with the Tandy Craftool 2mm chisel, you can see a big difference. First, the holes go in a different direction. To me, not a positive or negative. They seem to be flatter and are certainly skinnier. I will try soon, but I'm thinking I will like it.

Regarding the finish, the Craftool is much more highly finished. Knurled shaft, black coating, etc. But the SLC tool is heftier, and seems equally sharp.

I'm going to try polishing the SLC tools and see how they come out.post-60051-0-10482000-1427406562_thumb.j

BTW, in looking at my Craftool chisel, I noticed one of the outside prongs is bent. Surprised it hasn't bent before now given the pounding it has taken. Also, the three punches with the SLC chisel were experiments. One was lightly but firmly tapped, the next a little harder, etc.

I received these from Springfield yesterday. Saw them on the site- added to my order on a whim. They were very inexpensive- I haven't done a lot of hand sewing/stitching. Looking forward to trying them out.

Question Tugadude- how will you polish these?

Thanks!

post-39107-0-42558800-1427493650_thumb.j

Depends somewhat on whether you are doing it for aesthetics or performance. I am going to buff mine on a buffing wheel with some rouge and the idea is to smooth the tines so that they don't offer as much resistance when you go to pull them out of the leather. With chisels, they are designed to punch all of the way through. If you try to pull straight out, they often bind. The tendency then is to twist, and that causes two problems. First, it enlarges the holes too much and second, you could end up bending or possibly breaking a tine.

In this case all I'm worried about is the fork, not the handle. Haven't decided, but might wrap the shaft with some thin leather. Could use cord too.

I got mine in the mail today and yes they need a little tender loving care.

I did use them on my first pay project, I'll be posting pics of it in a couple days in the Critique my work section.

I also got one of those cheap belt end cutters and the adjustable v gouge, need to sharpen these somehow. Where are the instructables for sharpening tools?

I also am a new proud owner of a Barry King 1lb round maul.... give me a moment.....Yeah, it is THAT good!

Went hunting for something on SLC's website today and noticed they have a video demonstrating these tools. They call them their Finesse line.

I order almost as much from SLC as I buy at the Tandy store (lol). They can also make 3D stamps pretty reasonable. I used to shop there when they were the Leather Factory. The only thing I have ever had a problem with is their "grab bags". Granted they are about $5 but you might get lucky to get something useful.