rdb

Genuine Leather Made In The Usa Plus Logo

I need to be able to stamp Made in the USA, Genuine leather, etc into garment type leathers. I've looked on ebay, and saw some hot stamp machines. Some were around $350 used and refurbished. I've also seen some "soldering iron" type stamps that you can attach small logo size things to for a hot stamp.

I just don't even know what I need. Do I need two tools to do this, or is there a tool that will do both lettering, and a small logo?

What are your suggestions. Will these tools also do gold leaf type stamping?...Dunno nothing bout this stuff, but I need it. All suggestions will be more than I know already...lol

You might try something like this: Branding iron

Bumping cause I need an edumacation

Thanx Timd, I've seen them, not sure i want branding, rather set like a hot atamp emboss

Would something like a custom stamp from Laser Gift Creations give you what you need? I don't know if it would work for gold leaf, but you should be able to get a makers mark type stamp with a small logo and the Made in the USA line.

i wish, but not that easy. this is garment leather.

If I could control the heat on the soldering iron idea, that might work, but I'm not sure

Someone on this board must know how to do these sorts of things. We'll all have to wait patiently

Would something like a custom stamp from Laser Gift Creations give you what you need? I don't know if it would work for gold leaf, but you should be able to get a makers mark type stamp with a small logo and the Made in the USA line.

If I could control the heat on the soldering iron idea, that might work, but I'm not sure

Someone on this board must know how to do these sorts of things. We'll all have to wait patiently

Totally missed the words "garment leather" in your first post. My only other thought would be a small piece of veg-tan, with the logos stamped on it, either glued or sewn on the garment leather. Hopefully someone has some more information.

When I used to do my own photography, there were hot stamping presses available that could stamp things like "copyright 19_ _ by whatzizname" on photos in gold letters. You might want to inquire at LARGE photo supply houses in major cities or get into some of the online photo sites & ask there. These presses were hot enough to imprint the gold lettering on photos, but not hot enough to burn them, so they shouldn't burn garment leathers either.

Cost wise, I don't know, but I do know they're still out there. I think this is what you're looking for, though. I would check the photo sites.

You might also check out Columbus Camera Group (in Columbus, OH)- they buy/sell used camera stuff- maybe they have one.

Good luck.

russ

Edited by whinewine

I have a little embosser called The Diamond Matchbook Imprinter, I've never searched for one, but it might not be very expensive if you can find one on E-Bay. I see that it and the letters are made by Franklin Manufacturing Corp., Norwood,Mass..

I have gotten the foil from Ohio Travel Bag.

I would say if you could control the temp. of the branding iron somehow, that and the foil would do the trick.

Good Luck,

Kevin

I am going to assume that you wish to "Emboss" into the finished leather. I used to do that kind of work. You can buy gold foil that is affixed to a thin paper back.

You will need a metal "Stamp" with the design similar to a leather stamp. Place the foil on the item, then the stamp, and with quite a bit of pressure you will have a beautiful Gold Inlay.

Takes a little practice. I used to use this method to imprint names into Shell Cordovan wallets that were Cordovan Color. Adds much pizzaz to item.

ferg

Try this place for a hot foil stamp (or other): http://www.phillipsengraving.com/Magnesium_Dies.html

I and many other here have bought metal Makers Mark stamp from them and they do have a wide range of stamps/materials they work with.

Dave,

I've recently been stamping garment leather items (jacket patches) with a hot foil printer (without foil) using a magnesium block (very cheap!). No need to wet or do anything detrimental to the leather as the heat seems to be enough to 'set' the stamp. The finished article looks rather like a standard veg tan makers stamp has been applied to it.

One thing I would say is that not all garment leathers are the same - mine is a very soft, black leather - the sort of stuff biker waistcoats or wallets are made of. It is about 1.5 to 2mm thick and has enough 'body' to accept the stamp. I have not had much luck embossing thinner leathers in this way as the stamps tend to cut into thinner stuff quite easily. You will need to be careful with the amount of pressure you apply too. I spent a couple of hours playing with samples before i got it about right. It is easy to spoil a job if you don't have the 'feel for the amount of heat and pressure you need.

Hope this helps, I'll send pictures if you need 'em but I feel this is pretty self explanatory so you won't have too many problems. I have used a hand operated Marshall hot foil press and also my big semi-automatic Marshall. They both work just fine if I set them up correctly so I guess any hot foil machine will work for you. Let me know if you need temperature settings and I'll see what can be done but I have to say my thermostat settings are dodgy at best... LOL

Ray

You can regulate the temp on a soldering iron with a rheostat. Just make sure that it is for the correct voltage, wattage/amperage.