I would like to identify my saddle. I cannot find any brand or marks on it. It does have a horse & rider carved into the fenders.

post-16391-085243400 1282972445_thumb.jp

post-16391-052996400 1282972466_thumb.jp

Is that a flower stamp in the horn? The style is identical to my older Simco roper altho mine is a roughout.

Edited by Saddlebag

I would like to identify my saddle. I cannot find any brand or marks on it. It does have a horse & rider carved into the fenders.

Wow! I just bought a saddle EXACTLY like that 2 days ago to tinker on and was going to post in on here and see if someone could identify it. It's in a lot worse shape but has indentically tooled fenders, horn ect... Mine is a 14" seat, I've sat in it and it is close to the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in. I picked it up for 15$ and figured it would be good practice, it needs new stirrup leathers, stirrups, strings, rosettes and fleece and the horn re-stitched. I weighed it and without any cinches or breast collar and plastic stirrups it weighs 38 pounds. Thanks for posting, I'm excited to see if anyone 'knows' these saddles!

Cowgirl. Your saddle originally would have had leather bound stirrups, tooled on one side and plain on the other.

Cowgirl. Your saddle originally would have had leather bound stirrups, tooled on one side and plain on the other.

Yeah, I was just shocked that with everything either off the saddle or light-weight (plastic stirrups) that it still weighed 38 pounds. I'm guessing that with the cinches, breast collar and proper stirrups on there it's going to be around 45 pounds, which I'm not looking forward to. It's only a 14 inch saddle so it's going to be kids or a smaller adult using it, and I know I sure don't like lugging a heavy saddle like that around. But it is honestly the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in, so whoever made it knew what they were doing!

Cowgirl. The stirrups and the fact that the saddle weight is 38 pounds leads me to believe that you have a saddle with a ralhide tree and probably

made in the mid-70's. Let us know after you check the tree. Good luck.

Cowgirl. The stirrups and the fact that the saddle weight is 38 pounds leads me to believe that you have a saddle with a ralhide tree and probably

made in the mid-70's. Let us know after you check the tree. Good luck.

The tree is rawhide covered, the rawhide is cracked along the back of one stirrup groove, but there is no damage to the wood beneath. Should I do something to seal this or let it be? I've cleaned some of the dirt off the bottom of the tree still hoping that there might be some sort of identification, nothing yet. The most likely spot for something to be written on the tree would be the back of the cantle right? I'm not going to tear it down that far though...

Some makers stamp the skirt up under the seat jockeys.

Some makers stamp the skirt up under the seat jockeys.

I have the saddle stripped down to just having the seat, cantle, swells and pomell on the tree. No marks on the skirts, but there is a 9' 40 that is impressed probably with a stylus, could this be that it was made Sept. of 1940?

I was finally able to enlarge the pic and there was Simco's tell tale flower stamp in the middle of the horn. My Simco dates from the 60's and the only identification was on the leather keeper saying Simco and 338. This style went back to the 50's I know for sure- the new low cantle.