retiredff

Vintage Vs Slc Tools

I'm just starting out and buying a few tools, some like the granite block and cutting board I had along with knives, rulers etc. Since I've been looking on ebay, they are selling "vintage" tools (stamps) for almost double what I can buy them at SLC. Are the old tools that much better? If so in what way? I doubt if I will turn this new hobby into a production shop, just a hobby or slightly beyond a hobby. I also noticed, not everything on ebay that is "new" is the best price. Some people have outbid me for old tools that are 3-4 times SLC price...

Tony

Yes, they're that much better. I believe the vintage tools were all made by hand. I have a modern Tandy B701 and I could not bevel without leaving tool marks. So I'd have to go back and forth over the cut to get rid of them. I got a vintage B701 and the first thing I noticed was that the front of the toe was square, not rounded like on the modern Tandy tool. The second thing I noticed was that it didn't leave tool marks.

Also getting a vintage A104 helped my backgrounding quite a bit (same deal with the tool marks).

Those are the two I would suggest getting if you get any vintage tools.

Glen

I have the vintage 701. I bought some tools on ebay that were owned by his grandfather who died in '87. Most of the tools are vintage. I'll buy as many vintage as I can find.

Within reason :)

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by retiredff

Personally, I'd be wary of buying used tools off ebay if I was just starting out (or even now, for that matter). You never know how they were used or cared for. Instead, I would start right off with Barry King tools. You can't go wrong with BK tools. They are all stellar IMO and in the long run priced effectively (especially if you skip the usual step of buying a bunch of junk new Tandy tools or gambling on ebay. You won't have to buy "twice" that way.

Thanks,

Michelle

They may be great tools Michelle, but for someone who is 65 and has no plans on starting another career, $35 for a border tool is a bit steep. I think there has to be a point of no return when buying tools. I started off winning an ebay bid for old craftools that the previous owners grandfather used. He died in '87. So most of the 30+ stamps I bought don't have a letter prefix, they are in good shape, the ones that weren't I used a dremel soft wire brush on them and they cleaned up nicely, the imprints look fine to me, maybe not so for others.

His tools do look nice though!

Thanks for the reply.

They may be great tools Michelle, but for someone who is 65 and has no plans on starting another career, $35 for a border tool is a bit steep. I think there has to be a point of no return when buying tools. I started off winning an ebay bid for old craftools that the previous owners grandfather used. He died in '87. So most of the 30+ stamps I bought don't have a letter prefix, they are in good shape, the ones that weren't I used a dremel soft wire brush on them and they cleaned up nicely, the imprints look fine to me, maybe not so for others.

His tools do look nice though!

Thanks for the reply.

I think you are absolutely right. Buying vintage craftools on eBay is much more cost effective then buying the high priced custom tools. There are many types of stamps where there is no appreciable differance between a custom tool and a quality vintage Craftool. I would challenge anyone to tell the differance between the impression of a BK $30 seeder and that of a vintage Craftool one that you can buy on eBay for under 5 bucks. Ditto for cams, checkered backgrounders, bargrounders, and others. And there are relatively few people out there who can appreciate the differance between tooling done by a skilled carver using Craftools versus one equally skilled using King tools.

If you are going to do "Sheridan" patterns, you should get some Sheridan type bevelers. They have a steeper angle to them than the normal Craftools, which is desirable in beveling the many close lines in Sheridan work. Craftol did make some steeper angle bevelers in the late 1950's, but they are very rare, and hard to come by, and would usually cost you more than new King bevelers.

I didn't know that about the "Sheridan" patterns. I have some patterns on the way but can't remember if they are sheridan. I bought 10 pounds of scrap so I can practice with the patterns. The main tools I'm missing now are modeling tools, I should be able to get by with what I have until I get a better grasp of carving. Not to mention the other "practicing" I have to do - everything!

Thanks for the reply

I have to admit being "2 Timer"', bought Tandy then by chance bought a lot of vintage from eBay. the lot had Gomph, Hf Osborne. So now O am buying everything a Second Time.....only now all tools are vintage or high end makers. Skip the SLC and Tandy stuff made in China, Taiwan etc.

I just ordered SLC tools just to try them out. I asked Kevin this question and he said his stuff is fine (I'll find out). As far as the high end stuff - not a chance I'll by any.

Yes, they're that much better. I believe the vintage tools were all made by hand. I have a modern Tandy B701 and I could not bevel without leaving tool marks. So I'd have to go back and forth over the cut to get rid of them. I got a vintage B701 and the first thing I noticed was that the front of the toe was square, not rounded like on the modern Tandy tool. The second thing I noticed was that it didn't leave tool marks.

Also getting a vintage A104 helped my backgrounding quite a bit (same deal with the tool marks).

Those are the two I would suggest getting if you get any vintage tools.

Glen

I hear ya! I have a Tandy A104 from the late 70's or early 80's that is literally my magic backgrounder. It walks so beautifully it is just a joy. It will clean up any crappy beveling like magic. I also have an even older one. It has a finer checkering and is also lovely. Then I have a new Tandy one from the beginner set that was so awful it was cupped inward. There was no way not to leave marks. Eventually I filled it down to half size taking away the raised edge and it is really nice for little tight spots now. But I feel bad for any noobie who gets a hold of a tool like that as they will blame themselves. I only knew better because I had the old tool first.

My Tandy bevelers are so hard to use that in order to get them to walk properly I had to learn to tool with my left hand (I am right handed). That said I can now bevel and stamp with either hand and go in any direction all because my tools were so bad. Very handy when you are trying to avoid the shadow from your hands. The curve in the face of the newer Tandy B701 is handy for doing inside curves but I had to get some flat faces vintage Ivan Taiwan bevelers for anything else.

I dream of the day I can get some nice Sheridan tools as I do a lot of small work.

Anyhow lemonade out of lemons. I can bevel smoothly with anything now :-)

Cheers, Toolingaround