Cyclist2

Non-Traditional Patterns

This topic undoubtedly has an FAQ, but I'm sort of in a hurry. I've started making kits for my kids (I'm still fairly new at this and not equipped or talented enough to start from scratch. Yet). The patterns that come with the kits, although good, are not really what I'm looking for. I search Google for images of things I want to tool and that has worked fairly well. Does anyone have a good source of patterns, or images that could become patterns?

Right now I'm specifically looking for mountain scenes and/or aspen tree patterns for a belt.

My vision of where I'm taking my leatherwork is more into the "art" side, if you will, rather than traditional Sheridan or animal carving. Again, I like that style and will do a lot of it, but want to find a sort of different path, too.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark

Patterns can be found everywhere but it depends upon your ability to turn a picture into a pattern. I suggest you study how patterns are made, which lines to cut which lines to just bevel, etc. It will not be long before you can produce an piece of leather art from any picture or your own ideas. Also check out tattoo books, woodburning books, wood carving books, they all offer patterns which can be used for leather. Good luck on your search.

John