Sixer

What Sewing Machine Do You Use?

Hey guys,

I made a similar post in the " Leather Sewing Machines" section, but I wanted to get opinions from those of you that use your machines for holsters, belts, etc...

I've saved up a bit of money and am close to pulling the trigger on a new sewing maching. This will be my first machine and I know next to nothing about them.

The Cowboy CB3500 and Cobra Class 3 are both in my price range and I am open to other suggestions.

I guess my question is "What machine do YOU use"?

I'm hoping to get this purchase right the first tme, so your help is greatly appreciated ;)

I love my CB3500.....for the stuff you mentioned, I doubt you'll ever need more than the 9" arm.

post-4803-040455700 1324334272_thumb.jpg

2 Production Highlead 441 clones like the Artisan 4000P

Campbell hook and awl machine for period work (linen thread)

Cobra Class 4 (set up with brownish red thread)

ASE No 9 occasionally for straight belt and strap work

I could get by with fewer or even just one machine, however, I have 12 and counting production machines (for sewing, I have way more for other leatherworking). More machines reduces setup time and allows for a little less planning of workflow; you can sew things "out of order" and not have to worry about setups. Most shops can get by with one machine, but eventually buy the "other" size so they can have a large and a medium machine.

Don't worry which brand machine you buy, the dealers on here sell good machines. Make sure it is a 441 clone so parts are not a problem. Just buy the longer arm machine, period. If you ever have to make the long or short decision and the price is a couple hundred different, go long unless you have a compelling reason to go short. They resell better and with leather, rolling that stuff up and trying to fit it in there on a big job can be a real pain (even with the long arm, but most definitely with the short arm).

At least 50% or more of my machines are Cobra, the rest are Highlead, Pfaff, and older Campbell and Landis machines. The only short throat machines I have are the Campbell and two shoe machines, and that was the only way they made them.

Art

Hey guys,

I made a similar post in the " Leather Sewing Machines" section, but I wanted to get opinions from those of you that use your machines for holsters, belts, etc...

I've saved up a bit of money and am close to pulling the trigger on a new sewing maching. This will be my first machine and I know next to nothing about them.

The Cowboy CB3500 and Cobra Class 3 are both in my price range and I am open to other suggestions.

I'm hoping to get this purchase right the first tme, so your help is greatly appreciated ;)

Hey guys,

FWIW from the old grump; I hand stitch everything: Mike

003-6.jpg

I have a Juki Pro 2000 from Ferdco. Like i said before buy what ever you want. But 9 inches fills up quick.

Cobra Class 4.

I could have gotten by with a class 3 but I am glad I spent the few extra bucks for the class 4. If all you do are holsters and belts the class 3 will probably work. But if you ever need to do a rifle scabbard or even a bible cover you will really appreaciate the extra throat depth. Imagine doing the piece over the scope below with only 9" of throat.

Dan

s6.jpg

Edited by dbusarow

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you are contemplating a stitching machine you should invest your money in one that will more than meet your anticipated needs. Working any machine at rated capacity will wear it out more quickly than working another machine at less than capacity. Greater throat depth will never be a problem, but minimal throat depth will frequently be a problem.

My comments are posted on Leather Machine Company's website, following my purchase of the excellent Cobra Class 4 machine. Cobra Steve has always answered his phone when I called, or returned my messages promptly, and has proven that he deserves my business with follow-up service after the sale.

Enough said. Call Steve at Leather Machine Company, establish the business relationship, and enjoy the benefits of having Steve on your team.

Based on recommendations like Lobo's, I went with the Cobra 4. I am still learning how to use it, but have made two belts and a holster.

Odd man out here, . . . I use a Tippmann Boss, . . .

I like the ability to set it up, . . . use it, . . . put it back under my desk, . . . PLUS, . . . my right arm is all the electricity it will ever need, . . . even out in the barn.

It is a bit of a pain sometimes when I am doing a 50+ inch belt, . . . at 5 stitches per inch, . . . but that just gives me justification for another piece of fudge (gotta keep my energy level up, y'know).

May God bless,

Dwight

Odd man out here, . . . I use a Tippmann Boss, . . .

I like the ability to set it up, . . . use it, . . . put it back under my desk, . . . PLUS, . . . my right arm is all the electricity it will ever need, . . . even out in the barn.

It is a bit of a pain sometimes when I am doing a 50+ inch belt, . . . at 5 stitches per inch, . . . but that just gives me justification for another piece of fudge (gotta keep my energy level up, y'know).

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight

Must be something with us Ohio boys. I have two Boss stitchers that I use for 90 percent of my holster work.

I bought a used Artisan 3000 (short throat) I was lucky enough to buy it from Cobra Steve, he took 2 in trade and I was the first phone call for it. It works like a charm and was priced right. I will use it to make enough money to add the Cobra 4 (deeper throat) later in the year. As Art said, multiple machines are a time saver in production set up.

Oh yea, I still wish I had by Boss for some jobs, great machine for some projects, I would use it once in a while if it were here just to save some time on some projects but I don't miss it on those "long runs!" 50in + belts!!!

Rick

Just another reason why I love this forum!

Thanks for the help guys.

It makes sense to buy a machine that does a little bit more than what you "plan" on needing.