Hi All!

I have been doing leathercrafting for about 2 years now. I mainly do figure carving and pictorals, though not that well yet.

I have somewhat of a dilema. I live in an urban apartment house. The noise travels very well in this particular building. There are sometimes that I like to work late (I am a night owl). How can I deafen the sounds I make? Especially installing hardware like rivits and such? I have the rubber matting underneath my granite; along with a thick towel.

I do not have carpeting in the room I work and I have a paper thin door coming into my apartment. I was thinking of sound proofing blankets, but was hoping that you could provide some other ideas. Thanks!

Reminds me of when we were in an apt: the laundry room was below our unit, and a neighbor came up from there all concerned when he heard me pounding. He thought I was in trouble!

Anyhow, you're doing what I was not at the time, which is using granite/marble with poundo board (rubber) under it. I've found that helped me. I don't really have any other suggestions - hoping someone else does.

Reminds me of when we were in an apt: the laundry room was below our unit, and a neighbor came up from there all concerned when he heard me pounding. He thought I was in trouble!

Anyhow, you're doing what I was not at the time, which is using granite/marble with poundo board (rubber) under it. I've found that helped me. I don't really have any other suggestions - hoping someone else does.

Thanks, Wildrose. That is a funny story. Wish my neighbor was a polite as yours.

The poundo board does help, along with the towel. What doesn't help, is the table I work at is on a wood floor. We are in a third floor apartment, and it would be considered the attic. Every sound travels.

Seems like a lot of people viewed my post, but you were the only one kind enough to respond. I think I am going to try the sound proofing blanket idea. Cheaper than carpet, and I can take it with me when I move.

The lack of response is probably due to the fact that there may be no real solutions to your dilemma. The only solution, if you'd call it that, would be to become a "Day Owl."

try putting pads of soft material under the feet of the table to dampen the sound the table gives to the floor. you can probably start with those felt furniture mover things and top that off with a folded towel under each leg. seems as though you've dampened the block well, but not the table to the floor.

Good luck

You do have quite the dilemma. Since you table is sitting directly on a hardwood floor I would try what others have mentioned which is isolating the table from the floor with pads of some sort. In our manufacturing plant we put isolation pads under machinery for some of the same reason. They look like orange rubber waffles. Maybe some poundo board squares or similar material would be your answer. Good luck!

Here is a link to some machinery isolation pads to give you an idea what I am referencing.

You could try mats like these in the picture. Their comfortable to walk on to. You could cover the whole floor in that room. The ones i have are black and i got them at Sam's club. They didn't cost alot either.

http://www.greatmats.com/products/kids-foam-mats.php

You do have quite the dilemma. Since you table is sitting directly on a hardwood floor I would try what others have mentioned which is isolating the table from the floor with pads of some sort. In our manufacturing plant we put isolation pads under machinery for some of the same reason. They look like orange rubber waffles. Maybe some poundo board squares or similar material would be your answer. Good luck!

Here is a link to some machinery isolation pads to give you an idea what I am referencing.

Ooo.. that is a really good idea too. That and I can remove it should I decide to move. That might work. Thank you!

You could try mats like these in the picture. Their comfortable to walk on to. You could cover the whole floor in that room. The ones i have are black and i got them at Sam's club. They didn't cost alot either.

http://www.greatmats...s-foam-mats.php

Neat. I like this one cuz it seems considerably less expensive than the rubber machine mat. Hmmm. Now I have decisions to make.

Thank guys for all your help!

Along with the foam pads, I'd like to recommend sorbothane. It can be found in shoe insoles commonly, or here's a link that google gives: click me

I've used some blocks of sorbothane (I wasn't paying for them though) under mobile Tel-com equipment mounted in a shippable cabinet to protect it from travel vibration/shock.

A small thing I did...And I had carpet in the room (not my choise)

I tried this when living in the US (in a flat/townhouse). I ended up working with the big slab in my knee, simply to much noice whatever I tried. For the moments I really needed something more I had a high stool (wood, from K-Mart I think) but I tried to use that as short periods as possible not to disturb my neighbors. My best tip is to talk to your neighbors, show them some of what you're making and they will (might) have more patience with the banging:-)

thicker slab seems to help too.I sometimes use 2, one on top of the other,Edward

You could also try using the grey duct tape just put about a one inch wide strip around the end of each tool used and leave a little above the top of tool and kinda push down on it to give that fluffy shock type of hitting section of tool. Since my accident I have very bad insomnia so I try to not wake the wife when I am just having a ball!!!! not being able to sleep some nights. This type of tape methiod reduces the noise down to about half, but makes your hits a bit lighter so really watch how your tooling is working. The best about my circumstance is, she also wears ear plugs as a habit so I never actually wake her , which is just luck in my case

rubber mats (4by8 sheets) used to line trailers are cheap and work well under table and chair ,,,keep feet off cold floor ,,,sold at MCOYS farm and ranch setting outside as you walk in store ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,about 3/4 inch thick.................

Wow, can't believe no one came up with this:

I use an oak 6x6 standing on end between my legs. What noise?

I want to graduate to an oak log 12" in diameter or more at work bench level.

As a 3rd floor apartment resident, I can completely understand. Reducing noise is 2 parts -

1. Contact noise - or the sound your hammer makes hitting the tool, and there's not a whole lot you can do except use a different mallet. Rawhide or plastic striking face, then soundproof your walls a bit.

2. Vibration transfer - if the blow gets to the floor and shakes someone's ceiling and walls. Here, you can do a lot, and it comes down to mass and absorption. I used to have a stack of 8 concrete blocks, 4 high, thick carpets between each, poundo and granite on top, and you could set rivets all night long and wouldn't wake a baby. Only problem is 200lbs of concrete took up a bit of space, so I've 86'd that and am just using a few carpet pieces and the stone on a heavy bench, with some chunks of carpet under the legs.

If it's still not enough, I just turn up the radio a touch and keep the pounding to the daylight, 10 am -10 pm, and spend the nighttime cutting out parts, sewing, swivel knife work, dying, edge finishing, and designing your next project or cutting pattern.

Same problem, tried everything possible, it's not working. So far trying to watch closely when neighbors go out, and trying to use this time for louder work. Occasional work is OK, but no way enough for making leatherworking a profession working from such home, with volume production, and for riveting or tooling.

two things I can suggest. Put the 12x12 slab in your lap to set rivets or whatever. When I first started I just sat indian style in the floor with the slab in my lap, but I've always been limber so maybe it won't be comfortable for you like that.

Second thing is get a 55lb anvil from harbor freight. Its poorly cast junk which means there won't be any loud ringing because its not a real anvil, but even so its heavy enough to dampen the traveling noise for the most part. They used to be around $35 and its likely to come on special at some point too.