Janelle12

Newbie Needs Help Handstitching!

I'm on my first kit project, and it requires hand stitching (its a wallet). The thread keeps coming off the needle and rethreading is practically impossible because of frayed ends. Anyone have any tips on threading needle when the string is coming apart? If I keep cutting off the frayed end, I won't have enough to finish the project!! LOL Then, how do you keep the thread on the needle?? I'm sorry, I'm obviously not a home ec grad.

Janelle....The best advice i will give to you is:

buy the book at Tandy ,"HAND SEWING by AL STOLMAN" all your questions will be answered.

Okie dokie! Until I can get that book though, I suppose I should put down the project, because this is what I did. Now the holes on the other side don't line up. I just sewed 'hole for hole' but I suppose I was supposed to skip a few so they would line up? But I'm not sure how to do that. Is my question covered in the book too? (oozing frustration right about now!)

post-15410-127894964826_thumb.jpg

post-15410-127894973929_thumb.jpg

Yeah, you'll want the outside holes to line up. This will put a bend in your wallet in the middle, which is good -- it's supposed to help it fold shut without "puckering" the lining in the middle. TRANSLATION: Line up the holes on the outside, and there will be holes IN THE MIDDLE where you're sewing through the carving leather but not the lining.

Edited by JLSleather

Check here http://www.bowstock.co.uk/tan_win.html for the way to lock your thread onto the needle . . . and lots of other useful tutorials.

As for the holes-not-lining-up problem, it looks like you should have put four(?) stitches in the centre between the two panels, instead of two. You may find it safer to lightly glue the pieces in position before you start stitching.

Remember Theodore Roosevelt, who said, The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything. Do not be afraid to make mistakes providing you do not make the same one twice.

Ain't that the truth! Y'all are awesome, thank you! I might get to finish this project even!

ok I'm done stitching, and earlier on this site I saw a nice picture of how to 'tie off the thread.' Where is that?? someone had twisted the thread around the needle a couple times, it was very handy looking. Can't find it again!

nevermind here it is!

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7006

Edited by Janelle12

Ok well I thought I was done. The stitching is done, but there will absolutely not be any backstitching going on. There's simply no room! I broke my needle trying. Can I just cut it and hope it doesn't unravel? What should I do? (need a hero.)

Ok well I thought I was done. The stitching is done, but there will absolutely not be any backstitching going on. There's simply no room! I broke my needle trying. Can I just cut it and hope it doesn't unravel? What should I do? (need a hero.)

There is room. Trust me. Once you have the needle pushed through part way DO NOT wiggle it to pull it through the rest of the way. If you cannot pull it through using your fingers only use a pliers to pull it the rest of the way through. But pull straight. It is the wiggling that breaks the needle. BTW, it took a few broken needles for me to figure this out :)

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

Whew. Done. Thanks. I wet the wallet a bit and am squishing it between two books to make it lie flat.

I just oiled it a couple times for the finish. I didn't use the finisher (I have the eco flow one) because I did a belt and noticed the cracked finish and I didn't like it. Should I do anything to protect the leather against stains, or just use the wallet and let 'time and use' age it, and clean and oil it occasionally? If I do protect it with something, I want to still be able to oil it and I've read that some of the 'plastic' finishes can keep the (required applications of) oil out...

One item I haven't seen posted, but have found out the not so pleasant way is make sure both sides of your stitching awl are equally sharp. If one side is dull and the other is sharp, it will/can throw the awl to the left or the right as you push it through the leather. This may or may not be an issue for your project, but it looks like garbage, particularly if you hold the awl in one direction and at some point, turn it 180 degrees. Now you have holes that were thrown to the right suddenly going to the left and your stitching line goes with it.

Whoever posted the trick about running the awl across bee's wax, thanks! I find that makes about as much of a difference in pushing the awl through as stropping or anything else. Does a great job making it glide. Sew some 3/4" leather and you'll really appreciate the trick.