Looking good Strudell!

Very nice. I like it a lot.

Looks like some beautiful leather. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Thanks for sharing

Horn

Wow, I can't wait to see how that one turns out. Thanks for the pictures!

Great looking briefcase. Love the shape of the cardholder.

You certainly did a beautiful job on that. Do you know how many hours it took you?

Beautiful work! I like how you managed the center divider. Very nice indeed.

This is fantastic. really good design and construction. Thank you very much for posting the pictures of the process.

Can you post some more pictures of the arrangement inside the bag. Also, what leather type/size have you used. Finally, you mentioned that the leather is tan in color but the photographs make the leather color look yellow. You may want to tweek the pictures to get the right color.

Regards

KN

Thanks Rohn, a project like this is certainly a good weeks work. And then the interior work took a while on it's own, it's a minicase of it's own right.

Thanks for the words knazim. I have no more photos but there isn't much more to see of the interior - another sleeve on the back wall, a small trigger hook for keys. The leather is difficult to photograph due to it's glossy finish, but it is London Tan English Bridle, and has plenty of yellow notes in it. These are all natural light photos.

Cheers,

S

Very clean. I like it a lot

The tan pigment has lots of yellow in it. It will mellow over time. Great looking case!

Thanks bwilllielv and mrdabeetle

London Tan is quite a historical color in both saddle and casemaking trades, it was only used around the city in the times of the Walsall heyday. It is by no means yellow, but a tan with minimal reds and browns. However, when it ages the yellow does fade as the russets become more dominant. It is a striking color at any stage I think.

These two images of the same photo may shed light on interpreting London color.

They show a strap having taken some substantial wear and an unused glass case, one image highlighting russet, the other, yellow notes.

Cheers,

S

londonsrusset.jpglondonsyellow.jpg

post-30262-0-01295400-1393345701_thumb.j

post-30262-0-78946900-1393345723_thumb.j

Very nice work Strudell. I have a feeling I'm only over the border from you..

Hi Charlie, thanks for the remarks. I wonder what gives you that impression? Though often times I wish I was on that side of the pond (There's so many strong leatherworkers around you!), I'm currently based out of Toronto.

Cheers,

S

Hi Charlie, thanks for the remarks. I wonder what gives you that impression? Though often times I wish I was on that side of the pond (There's so many strong leatherworkers around you!), I'm currently based out of Toronto.

Cheers,

S

Strudel,

My mistake! I thought I recognized the work as that of someone local I know. It was a compliment, he's good!

Charlie

beautiful bag strudell. Did you take a leather apprenticeship? Im still starting out but id be happy if my work turns out this good, especially the circle stitching in the middle.

Strudell,

Very, very nice work. I really appreciate seeing your layout and construction process. I've been thinking of embarking on a similar project. What weight leather did you use for this project? Where did you purchase the leather?

Thanks, Jason

Really great design . I'm particularly intrigued by the side / bottom pieces, could you share how you made them ? i've been trying to make a briefcase too but could never get the sides on right or make them join the bottom cleanly for that matter

Hi DavidL, thanks, I did not take an apprenticeship. The circle stitching is very easy, scribe, prick and stitch, no different than a straight line.

Thanks Jason C. This is 3mm bridle - many will use the 4mm. Lighter on the gusset, those weights will not be bending. Stateside, Ken Chapman at 'Booth and Co' sells a similar bridle from England. I've made some straps from it, and for Americans I'm sure it's substantially cheaper and easier than ordering from across the pond. http://www.boothandco.com/

Hi Exuviae - the 'gussets' are fairly simple in theory. A three piece gusset (which is shown in several books, maybe even somewhere in Stohlman?) is constructed as usual, then wetted and folded with a bone (prepping for the 'concertina gusset'). Stitch in the partition, then the front and back. A bit of shaping and hammering and the bottom corners will fall into place nicely, (assuming everything has gone to plan).post-30262-0-59385200-1394020561_thumb.j