Beardedbandana

What Kind Of Leather Should I Use For Padfolio?

Hey LW,

I am struggling to find the right leather for an upcoming wholesale project.

I am making a portfolio/ padfolio. In the past I've used 5/6oz veg tan and it's close to perfect, but I would like to use a nicer Horween/ wickett and craig bridle leather to make them, but I'm struggling to find the right place to order it, and I'm not sure what weight/ thickness of leather I should use.

Here is an example:http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/55KTa_Alt.jpg

I have checked Maverick, Tannery Row, Tandy, and Springfield. Without seeing it or feeling it in front of me it's just hard to find the right hide.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Edit: Moved to "How do I do that" so you should get better visibility.

Edited by northmount
Moved OP

Hi Andy,

It would be hard to select a leather like that for a project without having a sample to gauge the feel and firmness for it. Have you tried contacting Tannery Row or Wickett and Craig to see if they can send out samples? Usually they will have small pieces of leather they can send that you can use to decide if it meets your requirements. Springfield would probably be happy to do the same. And of course if you have a Tandy nearby you can visit them and inspect the leather, though I don't know what they have that would be like this.

I make notebooks like that but I've never tried to use that sort of leather, just veg tan.

Hi Andy,

It would be hard to select a leather like that for a project without having a sample to gauge the feel and firmness for it. Have you tried contacting Tannery Row or Wickett and Craig to see if they can send out samples? Usually they will have small pieces of leather they can send that you can use to decide if it meets your requirements. Springfield would probably be happy to do the same. And of course if you have a Tandy nearby you can visit them and inspect the leather, though I don't know what they have that would be like this.

I make notebooks like that but I've never tried to use that sort of leather, just veg tan.

Thanks Bob, That's a good idea. I may have to reach out for samples.

Something else to consider: You could go with a softer leather to get a more luxurious feel if you use a stiffener behind it (say a thin sheet of plastic or cardboard) and then line the inside with another layer of leather.

Horween doesn't make anything remotely close to a bridle leather like Wickett & Craig's. Their stiffest temper is probably a latigo, but it's still not comparable.

Wickett & Craig may send you splits to show temper if you ask nicely. It will take a while and be low priority since they have to make them in the splitting department.

Why have you chosen bridle leather? The backs are pasted smooth, so it's not going to have the same comfortable hand as a raw back like on the Orvis piece you attached.

Mine are done with an upholstery leather, a couple pieces of stiffener, and a pigskin lining. They take a TON of time and materials compared to the Orvis folio you reference. They're my #1 selling item, but I don't need to really make money at this yet, as I still have a day job. For wholesale, I'd go with the thicker, firmer leather -better profit margins.

-Sean