bennadatto

Making a holster without having a reference gun

I have a customer who wants a holster to store a snubnose revolver in their purse. I don't have the model of the gun available, so i have asked the customer for a few measurements. I have enough information from them to make out a profile of the gun and holster, but I am not sure how much space I should allow between the actual holster profile and the mirror image to make a good pattern.

For clarity.

|

|____ (mirror of gun profile)

{How much space goes here?}

_____ (holster profile)

|

|

Since I don't have the pistol available to wet mold, in addition to adding a retention strap, I want to ensure the holster fits pretty snug. I was going to have the profile and mirror image flush for the pattern, but I figured I would see if anyone has had previous experience.

Thanks in advance!

Many times you can get profile photos and thickness dimensions from ads on the internet. This should allow you to calculate how much to allow for thickness. On pistols, I usually allow the thickness of the gun at the spine of the holster, then allow a little for stitching. This makes a very tight fitting holster, that will need to be wet and the gun inserted for the final fit. Hope this helps. John

Like shooting in the dark, without night sights! The best you can possibly do under these circumstances will be a generic leather sack for the pistol in question. If you undertake this job I recommend getting payment in advance, since the customer is likely to be rather unhappy with the results.

Best regards.

Okie

If it's a Smith & Wesson J Frame you can order a Blue Gun mold and build the holster around the Blue Gun. Without the actual pistol or a correct model mold, I would not attempt to build a holster. Rather then take a chance on having an unhappy customer, I'd refer them to another holster maker.

Randy

If you go ahead and make a 'sorta-shaped-like-a-J-frame' holster, and use a pic of the pistol from the internet for a profile, get a good sized spool of thread to simulate the cylinder. You might even check at a local gun stores and see if they have something similar you can trace/wrap with a piece of paper for a pattern.

Honestly, I wouldn't build a holster without the mold. If the customer is a friend and/or nearby, ask to use the pistol for a custom fit.

Thanks all for your responses. I too was concerned about making a holster to fit a gun I don't have access to. I have explained to the customer in writing that the holster will by no means be form fitting, and will be more like a leather case rather than a holster. Since I can't wetmold the holster, I will also be adding a retention strap to ensure the gun doesn't fall out.

With the proper measurements, do you think making a holster like the attached image would really be that disastrous?

IMG_1755.jpg

Thanks all for your responses. I too was concerned about making a holster to fit a gun I don't have access to. I have explained to the customer in writing that the holster will by no means be form fitting, and will be more like a leather case rather than a holster. Since I can't wetmold the holster, I will also be adding a retention strap to ensure the gun doesn't fall out.

With the proper measurements, do you think making a holster like the attached image would really be that disastrous?

Depends on the required function of the holster. If the retention strap sits right where it needs to do on the gun, it should stay put.

I personally would not attempt it. With the use of veg tanned leather, and the basic shaping, dyeing, and finish, I just don't see how the gun is even going to come close to fitting. IMO, the only way it would work is if you made the holster out of a soft, fabric-type, material. What gun are you trying to make the holster for?

I went back and read the OP....for an in-purse-holster, a non molded pouch style is what you're gonna have to do. You mentioned snubbie revolver, and that could be anything from a NAA 5 shot .22 derringer to a Taurus Judge, and since you haven't specified what it is, we're a little in the dark. The cylinder size is what's going to get you, b/c if you make it for a 5 shot cylinder, a 6 shot won't fit into it well, and if you make for a 6 shot, the 5 shot will fall out. You're also using measurements given to you by the customer- take that as you will.

Be sure to make attachment points for some type of clip to hold the holster in the purse.

Edited by TwinOaks

I don't know why she would want to store a gun in a holster of any type in her purse, unless it was attached to the purse. Otherwise, she'll play hell trying to get it out in a hurry,.... take 2 hands and too much time. You don't carry a gun in your purse unless you really feel like you might need it. Think about it.

And just get the blue gun. You'll pay for it with this order and then have it for the next one after all her friends see what a fine job you did on it.

Edited by Go2Tex

Twin Oaks, the revolver is a S&W 442. The cylindar measures 1 3/8 inches so I was going to adjust my pattern to incorporate a 1 inch cylindar to ensure a snug fit, and yes, a pouch type holster is all I am comfortable making given the circumstances. I am also planning to include a retention strap, actually I told the customer I won't do this job without a retention strap. Good idea about the clip. I will add that to the plan.

Go2Tex, hopefully adding a clip will help with locating the gun in a pinch (God forbid). As for buying a blue gun, I'm still not sure if making holsters for modern guns is my bag. I have been making holsters for black powder and cowboy action revolvers for a while, and I find that to be my true enjoyment. Although, I would increase my customer base exponentially if I did modernize my inventory...food for thought.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice. I will let you guys know how everything pans out.

Oui,

Maybe you should make a very loose fitting holster (kinda defeats the purpose) as when she tries to get the piece out she doesn't want a holster hanging on. I sew them into the bottom of the purse but the way that women load up a purse, you might get away with a large flap that goes in the bottom and a little up the other side so that all the crap in the purse will hold it in, although I have barged them to the bottom (you might have to cut the lining).

That covered, you need to get a 2" j-frame blue gun as a model, hell, if it isn't made to fit the gun or something similar then she would be better off going down to the local gun shop and getting something that works.

There is a whole etiquette to packing in a purse, a whole lot of competence by the gun and holster (purse) maker, and a whole lot of practice by the user.

Art

I have a customer who wants a holster to store a snubnose revolver in their purse. I don't have the model of the gun available, so i have asked the customer for a few measurements. I have enough information from them to make out a profile of the gun and holster, but I am not sure how much space I should allow between the actual holster profile and the mirror image to make a good pattern.

For clarity.

|

|____ (mirror of gun profile)

{How much space goes here?}

_____ (holster profile)

|

|

Since I don't have the pistol available to wet mold, in addition to adding a retention strap, I want to ensure the holster fits pretty snug. I was going to have the profile and mirror image flush for the pattern, but I figured I would see if anyone has had previous experience.

Thanks in advance!

Bennadatto... The S&W model 442 is a "J-Frame" revolver... 5 shot, 2 inch barrel. Any j-frame S&W revolver will work as a mold, as long as the barrel length is the same (Some j-frames are offered with longer barrels). The Ring's Blue gun for a j-frame will also work, if a real gun isn't available. If you can't get ahold of a S&W, a Taurus model 85 with the same length barrel will also work, as the two guns are almost identical in demention.

Hope this helps.

-Tac

S&W model 442 is the same as model 642, just a different frame material. If you have access to a fax machine I can trace it for you and fax a copy. Shoot me a PM if interested...

also the same as the Rossi pistols.

Just curious about something here, but I've always recommended that weapons be carried on the body, not in a purse. This is because if the purse is ever snatched.....well, there goes your protection. Have you mentioned this to the customer? I know that men and women are shaped differently, and that can cause problems in holster design, but I really think it's the best way to go. It just takes a little more creativity when designing the holster.

As an alternate, have you considered a gun pocket in the purse? There's several models of purses made with a side opening pocket with a closure device. They put the pistols in a 'gun only' location, where it's not likely to be assaulted by receipts, pens, coins, lipstick, Jimmy Hoffa, and who knows what else finds its way into a purse.

also the same as the Rossi pistols.

Just curious about something here, but I've always recommended that weapons be carried on the body, not in a purse. This is because if the purse is ever snatched.....well, there goes your protection. Have you mentioned this to the customer? I know that men and women are shaped differently, and that can cause problems in holster design, but I really think it's the best way to go. It just takes a little more creativity when designing the holster.

As an alternate, have you considered a gun pocket in the purse? There's several models of purses made with a side opening pocket with a closure device. They put the pistols in a 'gun only' location, where it's not likely to be assaulted by receipts, pens, coins, lipstick, Jimmy Hoffa, and who knows what else finds its way into a purse.

Oh you so don't want to know! :rofl:

You are CORRECT!, ma'am. What gets me is that I've been told "get _____ from my purse", while we were in the car and my wife was driving. I looked for several miles, then declared the purse devoid of the item. Then, while never looking away from the road, my wife reaches straight into the purse and grabs the item (gum I think) in less than a second, shows it to me, and tells me to put her purse back where it was. :dunno:

Now, if I'm told "get _____ from my purse", I just bring the purse.

:NEWFUNNYPOST: I guess I was trained young cause I have never reached inside a womans purse, Always gave it to her to find something no matter what. Guess it is one of those things like please and thank you and opening doors for ladies. And contrary to the scientists, black holes do not exist only in the vacuum of space! :eusa_naughty::rofl: