Nandy

Consew 225 Feed Dog Adjustment

Got a new feed dog for the machine as the old one looked a bit worn:

20150706_123852.jpg

However, the new one is not an exact match, it is a bit taller.

20150706_123915.jpg

while the old one was about the same at the top and bottom max (8.6mm/.034")

20150706_123528.jpg

20150706_123515.jpg

the new one is 1.75mm/.069" high at the highest and pretty much flush with the plate on the bottom max.

20150706_121943.jpg

20150706_122110.jpg

Is my understanding that the appropriate height for the feed dog is 1 mm, if that is correct, is this the screw that I need to loosen up for the feed dog height to be adjusted?

20150706_132049.jpg

20150706_132114.jpg

Any words of wisdom before I do this? This new feed dog is moving the work back and forth making the stitches smaller. Also, If I find my stitches size do not match the number I see inside the machine body (supposing I have the set up correctly) where is it adjusted?

Thanks.

Was it something I said?!?!?! lol!

Yes,

That is the screw you loosen to adjust the height of the feed dog. At it's highest point, the top of the teeth on the feed dog should just be above the top of the throat plate but no higher than the bottom grove of the feed dog. If you are sewing leather, the feed dog should be sanded and polished to remove any sharp edges. I normally remove any sharpness on new feed dogs anyway.

If you swing open the plate on the top of the machine, you should see the round, flat circular ring that has the stitch sizes on it. If I remember right,that can be loosened and turned to adjust it so that the stitch length number corresponds with the length of your stitch, ,i.e. 5 means 5 stitches per inch. You will have to test this on a piece of light cardboard. Sew stitches without thread to get the spacing between the needle holes. You do this within an 1" mark. That helps define the stitch length. Once you get it, just loosen the one or two set screws that hold the round ring on the main shaft and rotate slightly until you see the correct stitch number in the observation hole. Then retighten the two set screws.

glenn

If you are sewing leather, the feed dog should be sanded and polished to remove any sharp edges. I normally remove any sharpness on new feed dogs anyway.

You know what, that statement pretty much cancels out the reason I bought the new feet dog, the old one looks worn but maybe it was just polished... Oh well, i will probably keep the new one for canvas work unless I see some real slipping on the leather......

Thanks!