ericluther

Treadle Machines?

will the older treadle operated singers sew heavier than 6oz leather and if so how much heavier?

Thank you

Eric

My old treadle Singer 45K would stitch through 8mm of leather with no trouble at all. I have a 29k that will do 6mm at a push. It all depends on the model and in some instances the condition of the machine.

Ray

And the condition of the operator.

Art

My old treadle Singer 45K would stitch through 8mm of leather with no trouble at all. I have a 29k that will do 6mm at a push. It all depends on the model and in some instances the condition of the machine.

Ray

The treadle machines really aren't too heavy duty... it sort of depends on the treadle that you've got. If you've got a patching machine, they're good for one thing: Patching boots or shoes, or something else that you can't get at by any other way. They will not sew heavy thread, and the bobbin is the size of a BB. If it's a treadle that was a home type machine, 4-5 oz is about it. The patchers are good for about 1/4, maybe 5/16...

Kevin

And the condition of the operator.

Ain't that the truth! I'm not going to be treadling much this morning...

Ray