Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

Workbench Question

Hey all been a while. Ive finally started getting setup in my new place and built my self a couple of work benches primarily for leather work. I am not much of a carpenter so they are just regular no frills topped benches. The layer on top is 3/4" plywood that is the kind with the oak layers on it. Little more pricey but nice and smooth and a little tougher then normal.

My question, should I use a type of polyurethane coat on them or just leave them be. I have some stain and poly that I could use but not sure if it is a good idea due to some of the chemicals associated with leather work.

What do you guys all do, leave it plain or seal it up. Thanks for looking.

Max i just painted mine and it's been that way for 12 or 15 years and i never had any problems. I do cut every thing on a cutting board though.

One other thing i would put the cross braces under the top on 12 inch centers at the most. On one end of my table i made it solid 2x4's for about 3 foot length ways and all the way across to try and stop bouncing when i use a big punch and it still bounces some.Oh make it high enough for you to be comfortable. If you get to high you can cut some off easier than than trying to raise it up.

Edited by dirtclod

Thanks buddy, yeah I went with wast level plus a couple inches. Seems to be a pretty good height. I understand what you mean about the bouncing. I think in the future down the road I will make a more solid one kind of like they do for wood working benches. I saw a bunch that had basically 2x4's glued together for the top then braced nicely for the feet. Looked like some hefty benches. I think that will be a project for next year though.

Just a hint for future bench makers. I looked on craigslist and found all kinds of Solid Core Doors. They make super heavy duty benches. I got two, even delivered by the guy, for $30 total and they are like new. They are also 9' x 3'!! HEAVY as Heck though... but great work benches.

My top is covered with black neoprene rubber. It is 3ish' x 2' and has a 12"x18"x3" stone set into it. I only painted the sides for aesthetics. since I am a rough carpenter this was like putting a bow on a pig. The top was framed with 2x4's and covered with 3/4" MDF. I have zero bounce and low noise when tooling. It is all about the mass! :) I think I posted a picture of it here somewhere.

Good idea shorts and thanks TT.

Well since I have them built I went ahead and threw on a quick coat of stain and am doing the coats of polyurethane floor cover. This serves two purposes. I get a nice shiny bench and I get to test out the stain poly combo since I have to use it on some wood that I am redoing some stairs with. Wanna see if it will match the floor I installed.

Oh and if you ever get the chance to put in a hardwood floor yourself, get atleast 2 or 3 friends or save more money and have someone else do it lol.

Who are you calling "Shorts"? :rofl:

I'm fixing to build me a new workbench. I've done one already for the garage to test the pattern. Worked out fine but i have a few tweaks.

It is a good tip about the solid core door. Craigslist rocks!