These are 2 leashes which I made last weekend for customers at a dog show. They are both 6 strand braids.

6_strand_Bernese_leash.jpg

This leash was made to match a Bernese Mountain Dog. My husband took the picture and it doesn't show the detail as I would like. One one side you had chevrons coloured brown (whiskey) and white, while on the other you had a brown diagonal crossed by a short white, all on a black background. Each lace passed under 1 and over 2. 4 strands of black to 1 of brown and 1 of white. I did the small loop in 4-strand round braid so that it could be knotted more easily around a clip.

6_strand_Landseer_leash_b.jpg

This leash was made to match a Landseer (black and white) Newfoundland dog. 4 strands of white to 2 of black, arranged so that I ended up with black chevrons on a white background, alternating on each side. In this case, each lace passing clockwise went under 1 and back over 2, while each lace passing counterclockwise went under 2 and back over 1. This resulted in a symmetrical braid with an oval cross section. Again, I did the small loop in 4-strand round braid.

Comments invited.

Tony Starratt, Ottawa, Canada

post-4927-1212009673_thumb.jpg

post-4927-1212010044_thumb.jpg

Have a look at the new leashes I posted to Show Off! Comments invited.

Beautiful work Tony :You_Rock_Emoticon: , Have you thought of doing headstalls for horse shows?

vince

Beautiful work Tony :You_Rock_Emoticon: , Have you thought of doing headstalls for horse shows?

vince

Well, I tend not to look for work outside my specialty, although I am certainly open to doing it. I've made a couple of lanyards, very simple, and droppers for lanyards (also very simple). But these were dog people I met at dog shows.

Tony

very nice...i love doing the custom orders, especially when the customers want something original. i once had somebody order a leash as a wedding gift she asked that it be in the clan colors of her friends fiance.

Show off! Just kidding. Braiding is something I am just starting to get into and looking at all the intricate patterns you can achieve just braiding always amazes me. <sigh> I know.....keep practicing! ;)

Show off! Just kidding. Braiding is something I am just starting to get into and looking at all the intricate patterns you can achieve just braiding always amazes me. <sigh> I know.....keep practicing! ;)

Tazzman, I've probably been doing doing 4-strand round braid for 50 years or so; any mechanical skill takes time to master, but this is a relatively easy one and won't take you that long. I've only been doing 6-strand for a few years, but it is just an extension of 4-strand, at least in the mechanics of braiding it. As for patterns, there are a limited number that you can do with 4-strand: 3a/1b (dots), 2a/2b stripes and 2a/2/b spiral. When you get into 6 strand the possibilities really open up. It's a matter of experimenting and seeing what happens. On a personal level, I find anything more than 2 colours to be a bit "busy", though if I were to use closely related colours I think that I could make some really interesting, subtle patterns.

if you are braiding with 4 individual lengths (not 2 folded in half) example, like i wanted to make a 2' traffic lead by forming the handle and loop for the clip by braiding those ends back into the main cord...how do ya figure the length of pieces to cut for this initially??

thanks in advance!!

darryl

Edited by sodapop

if you are braiding with 4 individual lengths (not 2 folded in half) example, like i wanted to make a 2' traffic lead by forming the handle and loop for the clip by braiding those ends back into the main cord...how do ya figure the length of pieces to cut for this initially??

thanks in advance!!

darryl

Hi, Darryl. I would first come up with the overall length, including clip. This would probably be along the lines of 24" plus 6" for the handle, minus maybe 1.25" for the clip, plus .5" for the turn around the clip, for a grand total of 29.25". If you are braiding with paracord or its ilk, you would know better than I what you need to multiply to get the length of each strand. In kangaroo, at the tension I use, I would multiply by about 1.25, then add about 6" to each end for the intrabraiding. If this would be for an every day leash, in 'roo, I would strongly advise going to 6 strands, with a doubled, twisted core (2 cores made separately then the "shafts" twisted about each other). This core not only adds strength, it limits the amount of stretching of the leather (and the stretching itself, over time, will weaken the leather). Having said that, I wouldn't normally cut 4 individual lengths; I would cut just the 2, fold in half, and braid until long enough to enclose the bail of the clip and have enough for the intrabraiding. That is how I did the small loops in these leashes. It tapers well enough once you have rolled it. Plus you have eliminated the fuss of burying the ends.

Those are 1st rate leashes. I have been wanting to braid like this since for a long time now. How is this done?

I too, would like to know how you do these. Although I have a couple books on braiding, and think I could do a six strand round braid, I have no idea on how you would make the handle or attach a clip to it without it looking like I tied it in a knot.

I have 3 large dogs I would like to make leashes for.

Noah: "Those are 1st rate leashes. I have been wanting to braid like this since for a long time now. How is this done? "

Hilly: "I too, would like to know how you do these. Although I have a couple books on braiding, and think I could do a six strand round braid, I have no idea on how you would make the handle or attach a clip to it without it looking like I tied it in a knot.

I have 3 large dogs I would like to make leashes for. "

If you want 6 strand leads, everyday type leads, I would start out with a regular 4 strand braid, making a loop as for both of these leads; it will be more flexible than the 6-strand and make it easier to tighten on the clip (push loop through bail end of clip, pull handle through loop, pull tight). Strange though it may sound, it tends to be the clip that breaks first, so that it makes sense that it can be easily replaced. My rule of thumb for the loop is that it be big enough to wrap around my thumb. When I make the core, from mason line, I allow 3 inches for that loop. Actually, for an everyday leash I make a double core, with the "shafts" twisted about each other for additional strength. I usually braid a little more than an inch down the shaft before starting in on the loop.

Once the loop is completed, I intrabraid through the bit immediately before the loop (have a closer look at the Bernese leash, both loop and handle ends); my fid is invaluable for lifting up the laces that I need to thread my ends under. When I finish that, I add in the 5/6 strand(s).

You can do either a basketweave type braid (under one, over one, etc.) or a semiherringbone braid (under 2, over one from one side, under 1 over 2 from the other). I really like the semiherringbone type -- it snugs in tighter than the basketweave and produces an oval cross-section. With 6 strands, there is a lot freedom of design. Play around with colour combinations and arrangements of the strands first, before you get going. Once I finish the intrabraiding after the handle, I bury the ends in the core. No way that my ends are ever going to work loose.

Lastly, I get out some clean cotton canvas and a clean block of wood and roll the lead, with particular attention to the intrabraided areas and their transitions to the non-intrabraided areas. The rolling not only redistributes any unevenness in braiding, it smooths the surfaces, tapers the intrabraided into the non-intrabraided and softens the leather. It is better to use a lot of light rolling than a little bit of heavy rolling. Finish off with leather conditioner.

Tony