TomG

How To Make Reins

We've been asked to make some reins.

Since it looks fairly simple, I'm sure I can screw it up.

Any tips, tricks, things to watch out for?

What are the standards, if any.

Or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Tom

It depends on the kind of reins you want to make. If you want to make split reins with a water loop make sure their at least 7 foot long. The cut the width you want. Then edge them, dampen them and rub them up let dry and oil. The water loops need to be about 11 inches long with ties 12 to 14 inches long. Punch two holes in the water loop and two in the reins tie the loops on and your done.

I make roping / one reins 8 foot long generally with a snap on one end and a conway buckle on the other end to adjust with.

It depends on the kind of reins you want to make. If you want to make split reins with a water loop make sure their at least 7 foot long. The cut the width you want. Then edge them, dampen them and rub them up let dry and oil. The water loops need to be about 11 inches long with ties 12 to 14 inches long. Punch two holes in the water loop and two in the reins tie the loops on and your done.

I make roping / one reins 8 foot long generally with a snap on one end and a conway buckle on the other end to adjust with.

Thanks. Now I'll show my complete noobie-ness. Where can I find definitions/pictures of what you are referring to? I seem to recall seing them somewhere but can't recall where.

Do you oil with Neat's Foot oil or some other oil?

Thanks

Tom

Tom here's a picture of a rein with a water loop on it. Forgot to say earlier i use resolene for a finish on the reins. Neats foot oil is what i use.

post-11301-090535200 1281405400_thumb.jp

Tom here's a picture of a rein with a water loop on it. Forgot to say earlier i use resolene for a finish on the reins. Neats foot oil is what i use.

Cool... So it looks like a strap with an folded end strap all tied together with what, rawhide, latigo strips?

I've done some web surfing and found a bunch of pix of split reins abnd some I can see how they are built and some are not so clear.

I think I'll stop by a tack store tomorrow and browse.

Thanks

Latigo or indian tan about a 1/4 wide works good for tying the water loop. the string will break most times before your reins incase a horse steps on them. Cut both ends to a point. It makes them alot easier to get through the holes. To tie you need to start just like you tie you shoes but take a extra turn or two crosses with the lace instead of one and you have a knot, pull it tight and you have a knot that won't come undone and it's easy to get undonel if you need to.

Edited by dirtclod

I'm in a fix. I ordered a harness back from Wickett & Craig to Make 8 foot split reins but it's only 7 1/2 feet at most at it's longest point. Am I missing something? Do I stretch the heck out of it? Please Help

If you asked for 8' and got 7-1/2', I'd have them issue a call tag for this one and send an 8 footer. You aren't going to get 6" of stretch out of 7-1/2, and if you can I sure wouldn't use them for reins. There are some makers who do some creative cutting on a curve to get more length, but then you have a curved piece to straighten, it may want to go back to that curve some and hang funny.

Thanks for the speedy reply Bruce. I've heard lots of great things about Wickett & Craig but myt expirience with them didn't go so well. I spoke with (I won;t say his name) a sales person and mentioned everything I needed and wanted to do and that this was my first order with them and first time making reins. I asked for advice and so on and that the folks where I'm from 8 foot split and asked what the "B" grade condition was and he said scratches here and there. I figured since this was my first run at reins I could work around that as I have worked leather about 10 years. The order was placed on Sept. 5th and I called back on the 11 th as he had told me he would send email confirmation and damage to the credit card....Nothing.. So I called and asked where and when should I be recieving the leather the operater transfered me to the salesperson that took my order but was in a confrence, called later that day he was out. Called on the 12th and he wasn't in that day and wouldn't be in till the following Friday so I spoke to a different Sales Person. I asked the second sales person if he could help me with my purchased item and said yes it was shipped Monday and sent me my email confirmation and total was very nice of him. So I recieved the leather today the 14th and man was I excited, I opened it up and thought now let me see just how many splits reins I can get out of this 8 footers anyway and measured that only 5 inches of it would only get me about 3 pairs of 5/8 wide at $45.00 bucks a pop. Not much return on the investment. Then looked again as I did notice a stain of some sort and low and behold a 2 1/2 inch PATCH right in the middle of where my longest reins would have been cut. I'm really trying to keep a grip as my head has been killing me ever since I got this nightmare. Not sure if they mistook me for a fool, a niave noobie on leather or not a a bulk buyer and really didn't care. One more thing, the invoice reads that the salesperson was the second one I spoke to HUH? Now I have the most expensive floor mat in my town

I am also making some reins for the first time. I ran across your post and thought maybe you have some advice for me. Sorry to hear about your experience with W&C. I would recommend you give Roger a call at RJF Leather his email is fjlea@aol.com .

Tell him what you are making and he will take care of you. His prices are more reasonable as well.

So... are the reins a 72" strap with swivel snaps on each end?

Hello Texas Leash Co. Thank you for the ifno first off..Second I may not be the guy to ask but I can certainly tell you what has been working for me..I ended up with a Russet side that far exceeded my expectations after having the nightmare but now have been very pleased. My water loop are cut seperate from the reins themselves and cut them at 11" that adds around 2 inches to the rein thength so If I have a a 7' 10" cut it makes up for the 8'. I have worked leather over 10 years and have never cut any strips longer than say 45" making belts so I've notices making reins you do get stretch just by working them. So what I'm saying is that you may get 1" to 2" inches of stretch with the reins watcerloop not included. If you're make 8' you should be able to do so with a 7'8" cut with 11" waterloop. Hope this help but I'm sure some theres are different this is just the leather that I'm using. I'm not a masster at reins and feel you should get a second opinion but like I said this is my first crack at it at seems to work for me...Good Luck

Wow! Should have proof read that...It's been a long day

One more thing..I don't know how you are cutting your leather but if you don't already have a draw gauge I suggest you do as a strap cutter won't work and throw your staight edge off and damage the leather as it doesn't open wide enough as you get to the thicker part of the neck where you will be cutting weighted reins