mlapaglia

Where Do You Buy Your Thread And Needles

Ok, Im getting the Boss. I will need suppliers for needles and thread. I could buy bonded lubricated Nylon thread 346 at Tandy but it seems a bit expensive even with my gold discount. I can get it from Tippmann but they only handle White, Black, and Brown.

Im going to start with 277 Bonded Nylon white and black. I will have needles for 207, 277 and 346. So I can experiment. I do like the look of the 346 on a belt. Anyway. Where are the good places to get thread and needles? I see that Zack White has thread and needles. I have heard about Thread Exchange but do not know anythng about them.

Please, I would like to benefit of your experience with suppliers of thread and needles.

Thanks

Michael

Ok, Im getting the Boss. I will need suppliers for needles and thread. I could buy bonded lubricated Nylon thread 346 at Tandy but it seems a bit expensive even with my gold discount. I can get it from Tippmann but they only handle White, Black, and Brown.

Im going to start with 277 Bonded Nylon white and black. I will have needles for 207, 277 and 346. So I can experiment. I do like the look of the 346 on a belt. Anyway. Where are the good places to get thread and needles? I see that Zack White has thread and needles. I have heard about Thread Exchange but do not know anythng about them.

Please, I would like to benefit of your experience with suppliers of thread and needles.

Thanks

Michael

I buy my needles and thread from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Their thread page is here. It is available in sizes #138, #207, #277 and #346,at $15 for 1 pound spools, in 5 standard colors. You can call 866-362-7397 for pricing on their needles and bobbins. They have system 794 needles in stock.

For needles you can check out http://www.campbell-...php/cPath/3_125 they have a large selection also Weaver has thread in many colors and they have needles too, I just can't remember the price.

One thing to look out for is difference in color, I did get thread from Zack 3 different sizes in chestnut color but all 3 was different shades, but I do not use them on the same project so it is not a problem for me.

Tom

Edited by TOM123

The 346 bonded thread I got from Tandy is CRAP will not sew on the top of my machine and WAY to expensive compared to GOOD thread elsewhere.

The 346 bonded thread I got from Tandy is CRAP will not sew on the top of my machine and WAY to expensive compared to GOOD thread elsewhere.

I know someone that uses Tandy 341 and it looks and works great for them.

Different machines work differently on the same thread sometimes

Thanks for your experience.

Michael

I might have gotten a bad spool of 346, 207 and 138 from them works. But $75/lb compared to $15 for good thread is WAY to much in my opinion.

I might have gotten a bad spool of 346, 207 and 138 from them works. But $75/lb compared to $15 for good thread is WAY to much in my opinion.

I agree with you on price. The latests prices At tandy are $49.99 a pound for all 207,277 and 341. Thats way to much. With my gold discount its still $40.00.

Where do you get thread for $15.00?

The Tandy thread is pre-lubricated. Does that matter in any way?

Michael

I agree with you on price. The latests prices At tandy are $49.99 a pound for all 207,277 and 341. Thats way to much. With my gold discount its still $40.00.

Where do you get thread for $15.00?

The Tandy thread is pre-lubricated. Does that matter in any way?

Michael

I bought a pound of pre-lubricated Cowboy brand, bonded nylon thread for $15, plus postage, from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. I posted this information in my earlier reply to you. If you prefer to call them on the phone, the toll free number is 866-362-7397.

I bought a pound of pre-lubricated Cowboy brand, bonded nylon thread for $15, plus postage, from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. I posted this information in my earlier reply to you. If you prefer to call them on the phone, the toll free number is 866-362-7397.

Wiz,

Yes you did post it earlier. I apologize for it slipping my mind. I even wrote it down so I would not forget. We see how well that helped.

As long as I have you here Wiz, nylon or polyester, which is better or does it matter? For belts or holsters.

Michael

Wiz,

Yes you did post it earlier. I apologize for it slipping my mind. I even wrote it down so I would not forget. We see how well that helped.

As long as I have you here Wiz, nylon or polyester, which is better or does it matter? For belts or holsters.

Michael

LOL

I use nylon most of the time. I mostly use #277 bonded nylon, for holsters, gun belts, double leather belts, etc. I have some #346 in bonded polyester, but rarely use it anymore. It was more expensive and is a little less stiff. I bought it as a substitute for waxed linen thread, for my Union Lockstitch monster machine.

I buy my needles and thread from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Their thread page is here. It is available in sizes #138, #207, #277 and #346,at $15 for 1 pound spools, in 5 standard colors. You can call 866-362-7397 for pricing on their needles and bobbins. They have system 794 needles in stock.

Thanks for posting info about the 794 needles. I was down to the one left in the machine and hadden been able to find any 794S 180 needles anywhere. Called up Toledo ISM and they had 'em. Ordered on the phone and got them lickety-split. 20 needles at $21.96 including the shipping. Most appreciated! Thanks Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, I can breathe easier.

Have ordered several times from Thread Exchange in the last coupla years. Got what I needed, good price and quick shipping, no problems. Don't remembered what I paid for pound spools.

Toledo is a good place to buy so is Weaver's if you have a tax ID#. Both poly and nylon work well in the boss. I switched back to nylon because my aerostitch hates poly. Make sure hwen you ordern needles to get the 794S which is the chisel point for heavy leather.

Hi all,

I am purchasing a tippmann boss and had a few general questions about sewing. So far, all of my work has been hand sewed using the saddle stitch with a grooved stitched line on top and bottom pieces of leather. So, I was just wondering if you use the same size thread on the bobbin as the main thread, or one size smaller. Also, I'm guessing that you dont grove a stitch line in the bottom piece of leather, and my final question is, when you are doing decorative stitching on belts and such do you grove a stitch line?

Thanks,

Joey

Hi Joey; when fixing a saddle I will use the same size thread (346) top and bottom with a round point needle, it helps you to line up in the old holes as-to not make new ones, new holes between the old holes can weaken the stitching.

mostly you just have to use some of that scrap under your bench and see what works best for you as each of us has a different way to make the same thing work.

Thanks

Michael

Try the Thead Exchange. Tons of great information on thread and lots of collors and sizes of colors to chose from Prices are as good as any and better than most! Best of all they actually tell you where the thread comes from , unlike tandy/s Weavers, etc where you buy whatever crap they can palm of on their customers. Stick with Eddington, poly, or :Lynhanyl in Nylon. best thread around, but that is just my oppinion and yours may vary.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/

FYI: Linhanyl thread is no longer being imported into the USA. The importer-distributor quit, leaving many bulk buyers in the lurch. The only way to get Linhanyl thread now is to either buy what's left from a dealer who is lucky enough to have some in stock, or, to order 50 pounds of the same thread size and color in a box and do all the Customs paperwork. Linhanyl is headquartered in Brazil.

FYI: Linhanyl thread is no longer being imported into the USA. The importer-distributor quit, leaving many bulk buyers in the lurch. The only way to get Linhanyl thread now is to either buy what's left from a dealer who is lucky enough to have some in stock, or, to order 50 pounds of the same thread size and color in a box and do all the Customs paperwork. Linhanyl is headquartered in Brazil.

Is it worth doing a group buy to get some?

Michael

Michael

I believe so. I already suggested that to someone else. The person importing the thread should be familiar with purchasing goods from abroad and doing Customs declarations, brokerage, etc.

My guess is that the order would end up being for a lot more than one case (actually over a dozen). I alone commonly use at least 5 different colors of thread , in sizes 69, 138 and 277. This type of stock is in the domain of industrial sewing machine dealers.

I suppose that if a bunch of members went in on the deal, the initial order might be for black, white, straw and medium brown, in sizes 138 and/or 277, or just #207 as a compromise.

Dang, why is it that just when you find something that really works, it suddenly is no longer available! I have gone through several "no name" brands of thread only to find them less than desireable, fraying, weak spots, fading etc. I finally happened on Linhanyl and it seems to be perfect, and now I hear that it is no longer available. DANG!!!!

Dang, why is it that just when you find something that really works, it suddenly is no longer available! I have gone through several "no name" brands of thread only to find them less than desireable, fraying, weak spots, fading etc. I finally happened on Linhanyl and it seems to be perfect, and now I hear that it is no longer available. DANG!!!!

I have used Texas thread company and been satisified with their products. I get some of my thread from Ferdco and is is great. I have not had good luck with the thread Weaver sells. Tandy is outrageous on their prices. Just my opinion. Ken

I second the harnessman....the thread exchange, Weaverville NC is best choice....real cool info on threre website, smal cones if needed and very good quality for a very good prize....

Jimbob

I was looking for tarp material today and fond this web page for lighter thread http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Thread_and_Bobbins/index.html i could not find where the tread was made.

i did order some tarp material from them to make some cold fronts for the DOT

the prices look pretty good at lest for the tarp material.

Michael

Saw this list somewhere probally on here but I have only used A.H. Brand before and it worked great.

A.H. Brands, Inc.

1-803-684-7756

Artisan Sewing Supplies

6474 Corvette Street

Los Angeles, CA 90040

1-888-838-1408

Beiler's Mfg. & Supply

3025 Irishtown Rd.

Ronks, PA 17572

1-717-768-0174

DuBois Leather & Shoe

PO Box 142

DuBois, ID 83423

1-208-374-5490

Lewis Sales Co., Inc.

P.O. BOX 489

Methuen, MA 01844

1-978-682-3587

Louis A. Green Corp.

77 Elm St.

Braintree, MA 02184

1-800-225-3577

Luberto's Sewing Machine

215 E Kootenai

Troy, MT 59935

1-800-419-9898

Maine Thread Co.

550 Lisbon St

Lewiston, ME 04240

1-207-784-7770

Ohio Travel Bag

6481 Davis Ind Pkwy

Solon, OH 44139-3547

1-800-800-1941

SFS Associates, Inc.

5450 Highland Park Dr

St Louis, MO 63110

1-314-531-1830

Shelton-Reynolds, Inc.

11516 N Port Washington Rd

Mequon, WI 53092

1-800-877-7150

Southern Thread, Inc.

4020 Industry Dr

Chattanooga, TN 37416

1-800-593-7397

TEXAS THREAD MGF.CO.

2222 WILSON ROAD

HARLINGEN, TX 78550

1-800-840-3670

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

FWIW, I was at the Hidehouse in Napa, CA recently. As many of you know, they closed their LA warehouse and moved everything up to their Napa warehouse. I saw boxes and boxes of Linhanyl thread there. If you guys are interested you might try giving them a call. Not sure what sizes and colors they have available though.

Andrew

Hay; just got my order of 346 thread from http://www.neelsaddlery.com/ and the tread was LINHANYL for $18.00 per lbs.

you can call him at (330)692-1418

Ryan Neel is very fast at shipping to you and very helpful on the phone