jrmz

Introduction And Timeline

Hello everyone. First of all, I want to thank you all for so openly sharing your wisdom and insight to newcomers like myself.

I got into leatherworking roughly about two months ago when looking for a belt pouch for a festival. Every pouch i saw fell into one of two categories: it was either wrong shape/right price or right shape/wrong price so i tought I could make a simple pouch myself.

This was how the hobby started

imagejpg1_zps5c854661.jpg

I was to generous with the pattern and the pouch ended being too bulky so tried again

imagejpg2_zps91730210.jpg

I was pleased with this one and decided to take step higher and make purse for my girlfriend, that way i wouldnt have to carrry al her stufff during the festival.

imagejpg3_zps0572e98f.jpg

Bear in mind that up to this point i hadnt found this forum and didnt know anything about leatherworking. I was working with what i thought could work and from looking at pictures so the pouches and purses looked functional, but, as i later discovered during the festival, not structurally sound. The dye rubbed off, the edges were fraying, the rivets were not set properly and the suede lacing came loose.

When we returned from the festival i decided i could do better and started to really look into the process of working with leather and i came across this place. Big eye opener.

Edited by jrmz

Next project

imagejpg4_zpsb340dfd7.jpg

First time wet molding leather, first time hand stitching and first time slicking the edges and first time using a swivel knife.

I got a belly dancing sword for my girlfriend but it came with no way to carry it around so it got me into my next project.

imagejpg5_zpsc6e1b7f1.jpg

Still struggling with the stitching and the overall shape is not right. Cut too much on some places when trying to even all 3 layers

I decided to go back and make another flask holster

imagejpg6_zpscf1b37ec.jpg

I got a craftaid from tandy and it gave me more confidence with the toolling.

Almost like painting with numbers

Christmas is coming up and i started thinking about what to give my brother in law. He is a bit of a cowboy so i thought a western belt might be appropiate. Besides it gave me an excuse to try something different.

imagejpg7_zpsa8679aa3.jpg

I think both my tooling and stitching are getting slightly better but im still struggling with the edges.

Definitely have to try hidepounder's tutorial

I'll post my projects as i finish them.

jrmz -----------------

Welcome .

For a relitively short timer you are coming along fast,

keep up the good looking work. ------------------ Wild Bill46

Thank you tom and thank you wild bill. If I have improved is because I found this place. So much information, tips, examples, critiques and so on and on, just trying to absorb as much as I can

More presents

My two younger brother are really into video games so I wanted to use their favorite characters

image_zps7915286a.jpg

What I like: the warm colors, the stitching on the outside and my edges are looking a tiny bit better. Paraffin definitely makes a difference but I need to get some sandpaper

What I don't like: inner stitching! I guess I didn't measure the liner correctly and the leather ended up being a fraction of a inch to big. Chewed up the edges in some parts

image_zps9fba1dae.jpg

Hello Jrmz,

You are certainly getting it down and doing a great job. Keep at it and you will be giving lessons to others.

Happy to have you here.

God Bless.

Ray

Wow, you're doing a great job. It's fun to see before and after pictures as you improve, too. Surprisingly, it makes it more impressive rather than the other way around. Love the flasks.

Thank you Ray and Monica. I appreciate it.

Really learning a lot from this place.

This is the wallet for my other brother.

image_zps812d700d.jpg

When I first painted it, the colors were way too bright and vivid so instead of letting the resist dry over night I only gave it a couple of hours. The antiquing penetrated just enough to give the whole helmet a somber look

First major blunder

image_zps3ebf303c.jpg

I'm guessing the coat of resist wasn't thick/even enough so when I got the antiquing on it penetrated too much and made it look blotched. When trying to fix it by adding more antique, the saturation erased some of the details in the carving. Oh we'll, I guess ill chalk it up to lessons learned. I wonder if using undiluted resolene as resist would give me a more consistent coat