Sign in to follow this  
equiss

Stitching And Tooling Starting Measurements On Headstalls

Maybe this goes in the saddlery area, not sure - but if I am making a headstall that is 5/8" wide strap to start with. How far in on each side do I measure for the stitching line, and then once I have measured where the stitching line is going to go, how far over from that do I measure to mark a line for the boundary for my tooling? Does that make sense? So, once stitched, I would have my edges beveled and cleaned up, then my stitching line, then a small space between my stitching line and my swivel knife cut for the boundary line where my tooling begins.

Does anyone have recommended measurements for where these lines would start on a headstall that is 5/8" wide?

thank you!

charlene

Take a pair of dividers and mark where you want to stitch and sew. Any tooling stamping to you are able to do on whats left is going to be tiny because your going to have less a half inch left to work in.

I would say you need to keep your stitch line at least 1/8" away from the edge. By the time you round and work you edges, it doesn't leave much room for error. If you are wanting to tool, I think you are going to have to go at least 1' wide and maybe more. Dirtclod was right when he said your tooling area is going to be tiny.

Terry

Thank you that is kind of what I was wondering, I tried to keep it a reasonable distance, used a bisonnette (sp.) edger, but it runs almost over the stitching....

thanks again, will try 1/8 or so

Charlene