zfcjr67

First Attempt At Pattern And Case Making

Hello -

I have followed this board for a while and have been working with the kits and packaged items.

This is my first attempt at making a pattern and creating something, learning a lot more about leatherworking along the way. After reading "How to Make Leather Cases" by Al Stohlman, I thought "what can be so hard about that?"

I can see several areas for improvement, but I am interested in feedback from others to see what I missed in my self-assessment.

This was a gift for my wife, along with a few fountain pens. She loves it :) (which is all that matters to me)

post-36120-0-08201200-1375547296_thumb.j

post-36120-0-02519600-1375547297_thumb.j

post-36120-0-25842800-1375547298_thumb.j

was this based on the tool case or a book? Damn, now my wife has seen this... now I gotta make her one!

Geo

Honestly, George, I put the pens on a piece of paper and just designed around it. I wanted to make a zipper case, but my zippering skills are weak. I used the standard journal case for my outer cover with rounded lace as a wrap-around. The leaf button was found at a craft shop during a vacation.

Great job stepping out and designing something yourself

Each project gets better and better as you learn more and refine skills

Nothing better than making something custom for a loves one that appreciates it

I like it! Especially the innovative design and the simplicity of the leaf button closure.

If I had any suggestions, there would be two. First, when you glue in a lining, you should partially bend the primary leather (where it will be bent in the final project) as you lay it in to avoid that wrinkling at the bends. Second, your work would benefit significantly by applying a hand stitched border around the perimeter of the cover/lining. It would enhance its appearance as well as it longevity by keeping that lining intact.

We'll look foreword to your next project!

Michelle

Thank you all for the encouraging support. My original goal was to put a stitched border but I was so excited to finish I forgot to do that.

My next project is in the works... I look forward to sharing it with y'all for more tips.

Thank you all for the encouraging support. My original goal was to put a stitched border but I was so excited to finish I forgot to do that.

My next project is in the works... I look forward to sharing it with y'all for more tips.

That is funny and familiar.

My first 'bigger' project was my daughter's i-pad case with a Snoopy image on it. I showed it to her before I stitched the front cover and there was no way she was giving it back to me to finish. So it is complete there.I did manage to seal the surface to protect it.

Edited by WScott

will do