Gawdzilla

Handy Source Of Heavy Cardboard For Patterns.

When I need some stiff cardboard I use the packaging from a case of sodas. If you have the "flat pack" you have about two square feet of cardboard to use.

Also, when I need to put pressure on a piece to allow glue to dry I use a ziploc full of pennies.

If you go to your local feed store, every pallet of feed will have a stiff cardboad piece on top of the pallet before the sacks are stacked on it. Its about 3 feet square. I find they give them away. Some are even waxed coated.

don't forget cereal boxes....

oh and that old encyclopedia set -- the one you never open anymore cause you got "the net"

work great for holding flat things flat to dry

don't forget cereal boxes....

oh and that old encyclopedia set -- the one you never open anymore cause you got "the net"

work great for holding flat things flat to dry

One volume, a layer of foil, the item to be pressed, another layer of foil and the second volume. Crank down the bundle with wire ties.

One volume, a layer of foil, the item to be pressed, another layer of foil and the second volume. Crank down the bundle with wire ties.

I believe you've just redefined the meaning of "book press"

snicker -- love it

and with the encyclopedia's coming out on disk it is just sooo hard to get enough of them to hold anything down.....

and I don't think an e-reader would do much good either.

sometimes you need a good old-fashioned BOOK

Years ago when I was doing alot of woodwork I would actually put projects between books and the park my car on them for a few hours. Worked great.

Something I have used and works well is linoleum. It is easy to cut and work with. The back is usually white and smooth so easy to draw on. Go to your locale flooring store and ask there installer if they have any left over pieces or scraps.

I with Randy. I've been using the cardboard from feed pallets for years. They're big enough you can use 'em for chap patterns, and the cardboard is stiff enough that the edges stay good for a long time. And, I use them for stiffeners in smaller projects like photo albums and such. Can't beat 'em in my estimation.

I use file folders. whatdoyouthink.gif you can get a box for $10 and make quite a few patterns. They tape together easily too.

Go to cost-co or sam's club. They use heavy cardboard between the stacks of paper towels and toilet paper. The employees are more than happy to have you take it away. It comes in pieces about 4' square. Also old x-ray film is great for stiffeners, small patterns and a backing when tooling thiner leathers. The rubber cement cleans off with ease and the film can be used over and over.

JOE

Of course one would never use the free flat-rate envelopes and boxes from the USPS for anything other than their intended use, would one.

No, seriously, I mean that.

Well, unless there's an emergency, of course.

I would surprised if you could get x-ray film withthe price of silver so high. They can reclaim it off of the old x-rays.

The pieces used on pallets are called slip sheets, we used them at Jelly Belly.

I received my xrays from a vet. They were ones he couldn't read or the animal moved ect...... Most of the Dr's offices and hospitals have gone to digital print outs but the old films are out there if you look.

I am not certain if this is 100% applicable, but I will share it anyway. I just brought an air gun and compressor this past week, and in playing aorund I found one of the neatest things to use to make templates used for spraying was a plain white sheet of styrene. I was able to find it at a local hobby town in the model railroad section. A 12" x 36" sheet was about $3.25. I found it rather fun to work with, just scratch it with a blade (I used an exacto knife set) and then you can bend it and it snaps making a very nice straight line (assuming you cut a straight line) I was also surprised by how well I was able to curves to add detail. I'll include a couple pictures of what I sprayed using the template. I plan to use this to experiment with dying designs on leather with the air gun. I personally just really like the stiff plastic feel of styrene for holding a pattern.

This is the Horde symbol form Warcraft I used to make a shirt

post-18869-089899500 1297656311_thumb.jp

My wife's design sprayed on her shirt.....she has a thing for angry koalas

post-18869-009185700 1297656609_thumb.jp

I am not certain if this is 100% applicable, but I will share it anyway. I just brought an air gun and compressor this past week, and in playing aorund I found one of the neatest things to use to make templates used for spraying was a plain white sheet of styrene. I was able to find it at a local hobby town in the model railroad section. A 12" x 36" sheet was about $3.25. I found it rather fun to work with, just scratch it with a blade (I used an exacto knife set) and then you can bend it and it snaps making a very nice straight line (assuming you cut a straight line) I was also surprised by how well I was able to curves to add detail. I'll include a couple pictures of what I sprayed using the template. I plan to use this to experiment with dying designs on leather with the air gun. I personally just really like the stiff plastic feel of styrene for holding a pattern.

This is the Horde symbol form Warcraft I used to make a shirt

post-18869-089899500 1297656311_thumb.jp

My wife's design sprayed on her shirt.....she has a thing for angry koalas

post-18869-009185700 1297656609_thumb.jp

Do you know what is the thickness of these sheets.

I like the vinyl floring scraps myself. Most of my work is in chinks and chaps so the bulky pattern doesn't bother me. I write any info I need to remember on the back, its free and I like that I can store it flat or roll it up. And its very durable.