Shady

Motorcycle Seatpan

I could really use some ideas from all of you. I'm kinda stumped on how to fasten my tooled leather to the seatpan. I had originally thought about running a sort of "skirt" around the under side, riveted every 3/8" or so, then lace the "skirt" and the top piece together but I have run into a bit of a dilemma where the pan and hinge meet. Theres zero space between the hinge and the pan. Take a look at what the pan looks like:

IMG_20140721_191002_344_zpsf3895279.jpgIMG_20140721_190950_535_zpsdb73158a.jpg

Am I relegated to only doing the top and riveting/ cementing the piece directly to the pan? I plan on using some camping mat foam to give some cushion as well. Standing by for suggestions.

Since you already welded on the hinge I guess the only option you have is to leave the end open and cut around the hinge. The leather won't form well on top of the hinge so I'd cut around it and glue on the bottom piece of leather. Here's a photo of a hinge I use.

post-19391-0-45997400-1405991807_thumb.j

Hey man, I just finished up tooling a piece of leather for my bobber seat pan as well and found that chicago screws/ sex screws were my best option and will allow me to replace the leather later on down the road if and when I ever to decide to change up the look.

IMG_20140713_162442_zpshvo95ofe.jpg

Thank you. I think that's the way I'm going to go. I started by drilling holes at each cardinal direction in reference to the seat and then kept splitting the difference until I had holes around every 1.5 inches. I'm going to work on the seat next week. I got busy working on some woodworking projects and this week is full of training. I'll post some pics when it's all done.