DavidMillsSaddlery

Parts Needed For Singer 97-10

I have bought some smaller needles for my 97-10, but have since discovered I need to swap out the needle holder and guide foot. (see picture) the smaller needles don't have the same shank size! Anyone have one they would sell? Even if it's the same size, I could have it filled in, and re- bored! The parts are where my fingers are pointing!

Thanks!

Any other parts I'd be interested in also! presser feet, the bottom plate in the picture (I'd like to cut one down to get closer to the work!

post-26531-063653400 1326212098_thumb.jp

Give them a call at Ferdco 1-800-645-0197.I talked to them a while back about swapping needles out and he said he could walk me through it.Said it was pretty easy....Ken

Thanks! ll call them tomorrow! you have one of these?

I have bought some smaller needles for my 97-10, but have since discovered I need to swap out the needle holder and guide foot. (see picture) the smaller needles don't have the same shank size! Anyone have one they would sell? Even if it's the same size, I could have it filled in, and re- bored! The parts are where my fingers are pointing!

Thanks!

Any other parts I'd be interested in also! presser feet, the bottom plate in the picture (I'd like to cut one down to get closer to the work!

Where did you find needles for the Singer 97-10, I want to use 277 thread and can't find any needles?

Where did you find needles for the Singer 97-10, I want to use 277 thread and can't find any needles?

Gregg from Keystone sewing machine sold me the last of what he had! they are too small for the parts that came with my machine! What size needles are you using now? the top of the shank is narrower on the needle, so need the two pieces pOinting at to make use of these needles! When bought my machine from Kplan sewing machine sales it came with only a size 28 needle! lots of them have been knocking the rust off of!

Gregg from Keystone sewing machine sold me the last of what he had! they are too small for the parts that came with my machine! What size needles are you using now? the top of the shank is narrower on the needle, so need the two pieces pOinting at to make use of these needles! When bought my machine from Kplan sewing machine sales it came with only a size 28 needle! lots of them have been knocking the rust off of!

What size needle does the 97 use?

They use a 97x3 Round Point or 97x4 Leather Point one of a kind needle,I bought 300 5 yrs ago but they long gone.

They are not being made anymore.

I talked to Schmetz & they said if I bought 10,000 they would be happy to make them in one size only,I don 't think I'd ever be able to sell that many in 200yrs.

Now if I could find 9 guys that want 1000 ea??

Bob

Try to get 9 of us to agree on what size!I called ferdco but they had something called a blizzard in Iaho, so only "bubba" was there! am guessing they wnt o the local Dairy Queen! the only place hre in south Texas can find a blizzad!

They use a 97x3 Round Point or 97x4 Leather Point one of a kind needle,I bought 300 5 yrs ago but they long gone.

They are not being made anymore.

I talked to Schmetz & they said if I bought 10,000 they would be happy to make them in one size only,I don 't think I'd ever be able to sell that many in 200yrs.

Now if I could find 9 guys that want 1000 ea??

Bob

I was reading not long ago someone claiming that there is common a needle that is the same as the 97x4 EXCEPT that it is 1/16th or 1/32 longer. But I can't for the life of me remember where I read it. So they just carefully grind the shank down that much and they work. Might be worth checking in case that is true.

I was reading not long ago someone claiming that there is common a needle that is the same as the 97x4 EXCEPT that it is 1/16th or 1/32 longer. But I can't for the life of me remember where I read it. So they just carefully grind the shank down that much and they work. Might be worth checking in case that is true.

According to Ron at Ferdco, he has a common needle thaty will fit, and all you have to do is drop the needle bar less than an 1/8th" and can still sew 1" he told me that would lose a little of my lift on my presser foot!

my blonde hair strikes again... I was inserting the needle thru the thread hole, and thats why I couldn't get thew needle to stay tight... I jumped to conclusions because I had read that there were differennt parts for the different needles

That'd be the Singer 1000 needle used in the bigger Singer 7 class machines...about 2mm

OK, so I might have the opportunity to aquire a great working late model Singer 97-10 machine. BUT.....without needles it will be a big giant paper weight. Has anyone found out over the last year wear you can get leather needles for this machine?

Schmetz SMX1000

Strima Sewing sells them in Germany, but only size 250. A box of 100 will cost you $100 US, plus shipping.

Hi, there may be the odd shop out there that has a few stowed away, but the bottom line is that the needle manufacturing for the 97 is over. I have two Singer 97-10 and use the Singer 7 class 1000 needle as Darren has suggested. Some people say they don't work but I've had no problems. The 1000 needle is about 79mm long and the 97 needle about 77mm long, so you may need to raise the needle bar slightly, however I found on mine they slotted straight in without any adjustment. Maybe the needlebars move a bit in time anyway with the heavy leather work.

The 97 is a fantastic machine, will an honest 1" of leather. I'm interested in another one if someone as one on the original stand for reasonable money.

I believe Darren above should have the1000needle in stock, that's where I get them.

Regards Steve