MrLentz

How Are You Cutting Leather?

Hello,

I wanted to see how other experienced leatherworkers are marking and cutting their leather for more advanced projects.

Right now I find myself using one of those rolling blades pressed against a metal ruler - typically used for cutting fabric. How are people cutting more advanced shapes such as curves, or just in general?

Thanks!

I use the roller knife also just make sure the ruler has cork or something on the bottom to keep it from sliding around. For tight curves I cut it first with a swivel knife and then follow that with an razor knife. For wide curves I usually use leather shears then clean it up if needed on a sander.

David

There's a knife for every purpose.

Long blades(which includes your rotary cutter) are great for long, straight cuts. Tools with less of the blade in the material beign cut are better for tight curves - good example is a clicker knife or paris knife....

eg First hit on google with a piccie is http://www.sterlingtools.com.au/DSK_dash_250/Clicker-Style-Shoe-Knife-with/pd.php

I tend to change knives depending on what I'm cutting......

Cheers!

I started with a tool I was familiar with, . . . the old Stanley carpenter's razor knife.

I have a circular knife that I seldom use, . . . as well as other tools, . . . razor knife works the best for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

I was wondering the same when at the weekend I was trying to cut out 4 inch round shapes for coasters. I had a Stanley knife and cut in straight lines, this made the coaster jaggered which I had to then sand down.

Would they have been a better way to cut these?

A hole saw and a drill press is THE ticket to this problem.

First cut a hole in a piece of 1 x 6 long enough to clamp on to the table of the press, . . . sandwich the leather between the top board with the hole, . . . and another board below, . . . remove the center drill bit from the hole saw, . . . cut to your hearts content.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use a few knives. I do use a roller knife to straighten an edge next to a 6" measuring stick. I use a point knife a friend made for some inside corner cuts or tight trimming. The other 98% cuts are done with a round knife or head knife.

I use mostly a razor type knife with a locking mechanism of some sort. ( I have various different ones)

I may be the only one that does this, maybe not, but I hold it blade pointed toward me and cut pushing away. This is very comfortable for me and I find I have much better control.

I also use a rotary for thin suede and lining leather and a "craft knife" for cutouts etc.

You can never have enough knives imo.

Kevin

I have an old "Paper crafter" knife (basically a trim knife) that I use for rough out cutting of my hide since it's handy and I usually do those cuts with it sitting on the floor. But, for all my other cutting I use my LW round knife. I'm able to use it for push and pull cuts, as well as really tight curves. I also had Paul make it with an really pointed tip (his "Rhino" tip) which allows me to get even tighter curves and works excellent for skiving as well. I could easily use it for cutting the rough out stuff too, but I'm afraid I'm going to cut through my cheap mat I use on the floor and end up shredding my carpet :)

I've recently discovered laser cutting services as an option. I have yet to try it myself, but it can cut out intricate designs in leather perfectly and with little money from what I've heard and seen. In Toronto I know of Toronto Laser Services, but I'm sure other places exist elsewhere. The only limitation is that Adobe Illustrator or a similar software must be used to feed the design into the process. However, considering all the slip ups one can have when cutting by hand and considering the costs of leather, the laser seems like a great option for really intricate work. I'm sure it also saves time and the occasional band-aid. When I finally learn how to use Adobe Illustrator, I'm going to get some pieces cut for a simple handbag to test it out. It may be the next best thing.

I use a old draw gauge, round knife, and a striaght knife. I'm fixing to get a good hook knife for tight inside cuts.

Mike

I use a round knife a lot and a straight knife too. One thing I do when there are curves etc, is I make the first cut with a hollow blade swivel knife. I cut about midway through the leather then finish the cuts with whatever knife I want to use for that particular project. I find I can cut the layout much more accurately with a swivel knife than I can freehand.

Chief

I've recently discovered laser cutting services as an option. I have yet to try it myself, but it can cut out intricate designs in leather perfectly and with little money from what I've heard and seen. In Toronto I know of Toronto Laser Services, but I'm sure other places exist elsewhere. The only limitation is that Adobe Illustrator or a similar software must be used to feed the design into the process. However, considering all the slip ups one can have when cutting by hand and considering the costs of leather, the laser seems like a great option for really intricate work. I'm sure it also saves time and the occasional band-aid. When I finally learn how to use Adobe Illustrator, I'm going to get some pieces cut for a simple handbag to test it out. It may be the next best thing.

I have Laser Cutter and use it to cut all the leather work that I am doing. @Lolligagger. I am based in Markham, Ontario and I also provide leather cutting services.

Regards

KN

I also use the carpenter's razor knife - Thanks to tips I got here......

If I am going to make a lot of one thing then I use my clicker die press, have a cutting die made and then everything is always perfect and there is the least amount of wasted leather.

I make a lot of coasters and before I got my clicker I always used a

post-15330-0-70420100-1370379370_thumb.j LION EV-R-Round Circle Cutter. Capable of cutting circles from 3/4 in. up to 6 3/4 in.

I found this to be the easiest and fastest way to make a whole lot of rounds.

I make a lot of coasters and before I got my clicker I always used a

I like the circle cutter, I tried to do some coasters and made a mess at cutting them out, but cant seem to find the cutter in the UK.

BTW, what is a "Clicker"???

A cli

I like the circle cutter, I tried to do some coasters and made a mess at cutting them out, but cant seem to find the cutter in the UK.

A clicker is a press that is predominately used in the Shoe industry although it is used in some garment manufacturing as well. It normally has a flat plate on the top side, leather is placed on the table and then cutting dies are placed on the material and the machine "Clicks" down on the die, die cutting the pieces.

The Clicker is a Die Press. The one I have is a 700 Clicker and it's made by Tippmann.

post-15330-0-32639000-1370488554_thumb.jthe cutting area is 12"x 12" and

is powered by a gas air compressor

post-15330-0-29420200-1370488582_thumb.j

This set up doesn't take up much room, is easy to use, I’ve had mine for

four years and I haven't had a single problem with it. Tippmann makes a real quality machine

and I use it for cutting and embossing.

• I was lucky that when my job was sent to China, that I had some savings.

I figured I should be able to make a little money making small leather items...

And the Clicker has saved me a lot of time and money in the long run… I just couldn't cut a perfect circle....

Am I'm the only one who uses a Landis 5 in 1 to cut out circles?

post-39369-0-40256500-1370491946_thumb.j

Thanks for pointing out the clicker. I thought it was something like that, just not heard it called a clicker before.

VERY VERY carefully! Learned that the hard way... haha! And always pay attention to your hands when using anything with a blade on one end!

I started with a box cutter and straight edge, effective but not pretty with thicker leather. Since then I've moved on to a strap cutter, multiple knives, round/head knife and scissors. Once you practice, the progression is amazing!

I use a round knife for most cuts.. for smaller radiuses I use a trimming knife

Like the others I use a variety of knives. Rotary, razor knife, round knife, head knife, strap cutters... but I've recently been experimenting with die cutting using a hand crank machine designed for scrapbooking, like this. http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Sizzix-Vintaj-Edition-BIGkick-Machine/7983995/product.html

It will cut through leathers up to about 6 oz fine with the Thick Cuts or Bigz dies that you can buy for the machine. I also found a gentleman out of San Francisco, CA that can make custom dies for the machine so I had him make me one for a wallet back shape. I'll be ordering one soon for wallet guts and for key fobs. I've also found that the embossing plates work well too on some leathers.

To see how the machines like this work... check out this video.

Wow Slyvia, great idea! I am going to look into one of these.