Sign in to follow this  
cleveland

Molding Plastic- "blue Guns" For Holster Making

I am looking into a way to make my own "blue guns" for holster making. It looks like my best (least expensive) option would be to make a Urethane RTV mold from a pistol, and then use a plastic resin to make the "blue gun".

Has anyone made their own? Is this the strategy you used? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Bobby

I'm no expert, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

I don't think RTV is rigid enough for you to make an accurately dimensioned plastic replica. I would think you need to use something more rigid, like a plaster, so that you have a hard mold. The RTV I'm used to using is more like a rubber, and can flex and move quite a bit. It might work, but I would think a more rigid mold would provide a more accurate replica. If you could get your hands on some polycarbonate resin, and make a plaster mold, you could probably make a very accurate replica. Polycarbonate is very hard at room temp. It melts at about 500ºF. Melt the resin in a pot and pour into the mold.

Hi Cleveland- I remember a thread about this topic some time ago. There are companies that have products specifically for making molds, etc. with silicone and other resins. Websites like Smooth-on and Alumilite have kits and how-to videos for different products and mold making techniques.

I considered doing the same thing. There are two concerns I have about making a dummy gun though- first is keeping the mold making goo out of the small cracks and crevices of the gun (like around the cylinder of a revolver, or where the trigger enters the frame); Which I guess could be resolved by wrapping or vacuum sealing the firearm in thin plastic, or using clay to fill in the cracks (which would require a thorough cleaning afterwards to get all the clay out).

Secondly, choosing the right product to make the dummy gun- based on shrinkage rates after they cure, hardness, colorfastness, and resistance to any chemicals or dyes they may be exposed to. That would probably be easy to solve by emailing or calling the company and telling them what you're trying to do. I'm sure they could make a suggestion for the right stuff to use.

You can check out some of the videos on the websites I linked. They may help give you a better idea or tips on how to go about making your dummies.

Good luck-

Nooj

That's a good idea. I called Tap and the gal there seemed a little confused. I will try the places you suggested.

Yes, there was a thread on this before.Generally with the time and materials needed to accomplish this, you would be spending more than buying "Blue guns", and it would be debatable if you could achieve the quility of that product.Remember time is money, and while I am all for making all the equipment you can, cost versus time becomes an issue if your depending on sales to pay bills.Dave

Yes, there was a thread on this before.Generally with the time and materials needed to accomplish this, you would be spending more than buying "Blue guns", and it would be debatable if you could achieve the quility of that product.Remember time is money, and while I am all for making all the equipment you can, cost versus time becomes an issue if your depending on sales to pay bills.Dave

I do not want to hear that!!! However I am slowly coming to the same conclusion. :-(

Maybe I should start buying them used to save money?

You can use something like RTV, but wouldn't recommend it. They do make hardening catalysts for RTV. I'm like the rest though....doing molding/casting/etc....the time & money it takes to use good materials (including plaster, resin, plasteline clay, etc), you'll probably be over-cost of just buying them. I'd really only approach this route if you were going to mass-produce them. After the 1st one is made, you can do a bunch more. For just yourself, I don't think it'd be cost-effective.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, I have decided I am better off leaving the molding to the pro's. I just ordered 10 guns, 4 from Ring's and 6 used guns from a forum member.