Sign in to follow this  
MyNewHobby

How Do I Start .... Where Do I Start?

I have leather scraps coming out my ears and am wondering what are some basic projects for me to focus on to get a handle on working with leather.

I know that I started this board a bit back, however .... I am just now getting started ...

I have an interest in making pouches for polished stones or other items.

I am interested in trying to make just about anything. However ... right now my tools are very limited and I really have no idea how to start.

All input is greatly appreciated

Julie

key fobs or wristbands are usually a good place to start... find a design..or if you are one of the lucky ones, draw up a design. would need to know what tools you do have to be able to help you in more detail. don't worry, the swelling from the bite of the leather bug does go away, but the addiction stays :evillaugh:

The leather bug has bitten me ... but since I am so green .... I do not know where to begin ...

Where can I find examples of watch fobs and wristbands? I know how I can draw what I think may be a watch fob or wristband .... but loving rocks .... I am a dork in leather. :helpsmilie:

Also .... where can I find examples of how to make or put together a pouch?

I have tried the pouch with my leather punch ... but I keep coming up just off of not being able to pull the jute and it closes!

Thanks Guys ... being so green sucks ... but I am determined!

Tandy leather website. They have good references and patterns for beginners. Your local Tandy store maybe able to help you with a pattern. Al Stohlman has some great beginner books. PM your address and I will forward a book to help you. I have an extra one.

Good luck

The leather bug has bitten me ... but since I am so green .... I do not know where to begin ...

Where can I find examples of watch fobs and wristbands? I know how I can draw what I think may be a watch fob or wristband .... but loving rocks .... I am a dork in leather. :helpsmilie:

Also .... where can I find examples of how to make or put together a pouch?

I have tried the pouch with my leather punch ... but I keep coming up just off of not being able to pull the jute and it closes!

Thanks Guys ... being so green sucks ... but I am determined!

If your local Tandy store is as good as the one in Columbus, Ohio, . . . that is the place to go. The clerks in there are super to work with, . . . they have leather working classes that only cost the materials you use, . . .

They can also point you to the teachers in their groups, . . . boy/girl scout leaders, . . . and others who work with youth (using leatherworking for fun and/or therapy).

You may want to check out your local adult learning centers or art centers for classes too.

May God bless,

Dwight

My 2cents on the drawstring pouches... Sewing a channel around the top might help it close rather than running cord through numerous holes.

However, in my own experience I've found that having 2 strings laced through a few holes works pretty well. Pull on them from opposite sides.

Here's a pic.

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:vBc3pf...20pouch300c.jpg

Hi... if you're making pouches with holes at the top for drawstrings, just make sure you have an even number of holes. You can use 2 strings threaded from the opposite sides of the pouch to achieve a nice even draw. But I wouldn't use Jute. It's really not happy as a drawstring. Just use something that isn't so "draggy", and you'll be fine. Don't worry about perfection. it's not necessary (unless it is to you). If you've got a sewing machine, then pouches are easy... But I'm assuming that that isn't an option...

Happy pouching! :)

Kevin