Sovran81

Thick Leather

I have seen projects made with it, but cant seem to source it. I am looking for 20-24oz veg tan. If you have run across this at a supplier please let me know where. Thanks.

I do not know where to buy that thickness. However, if I remember correctly, Springfield Leather has a leather that gets to 18-20 oz. thickness in the neck area sometimes. I saw this in the printed catalog, but not on the website, but do not have my catalog here to confirm.

If you do not find another option, an alternative might be to attach two or three layers together. This could even be stronger than one layer because the grain is the densest / strongest part... and it could have grain facing both in and out.

Best of luck!

I would laminate, but there wont be any stitching and I doubt glue would hold alone with the amount of continual flexing. The link isnt working right. Are you referring to harness sides?

The product is a side of Harness leather called Old World Russet. It appeared on the desktop version of the site but not on the mobile version.

I also saw a "super thick double shoulder (maybe bend) described as approximately 1/4" thick. 24 oz would be 3/8" and 20 oz 7/16". Also, only on desktop version of site.

I am not an expert on adhesives either, especially by itself. I find rubber cement to be for temporary purposes and contact/Barge cement to be pretty permanent--but flexing a lot (as in a belt) would test the best of them. I wonder what shoemakers use in such situations. For that matter, I wonder where they get their thickest sole leather.

I have seem some extra-thick Weaver straps at the local farm store, but I think they were carefully laminated and were just straps, not large sections.

If the link doesn't work, it said 16 oz or so, which is still less than what you were looking for.

Do you mind my asking what type of product it is for? That might draw in others with more specific knowledge, or help find an idea that would work.

-JV474