LoyalNine

New Thread

so I have been reading the forums and trying to learn more about Thread, Thread sizes, SPI and every other detail related to learning to stitch by hand it still remains a dark art to me. I stop by Maine Thread company today to ask some questions I didn't get all the answers but I did get some thread they had a bargain bin - not bad 20 rolls for 10 bucks I'm not quite sure what I have here apparently the wax thread is sized by the "ply"? I'm not sure how that relates I had not read about thread sized that way before when reading about it in the forums. if I wanted to make a wallet what would be the appropriate size thread with ply using 7spi? more confused now than I was this morning! 😃post-51908-0-54626200-1407176719_thumb.j

post-51908-0-37495300-1407176741_thumb.j

Edited by LoyalNine

for 7 spi I would use .030 or around there.

Thanks for the reply. This I guess is my confusion... There are no markings indicating what diameter the thread is. All I can do is tell how may ply it is by examing the end. Does the number I ply equate to a diameter or is it different for all manufacturers ?

-Joe

The Maine thread I have has a label on the inside of the cardboard core. It lists the diameter in inches, e.g. 0.040

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

This stuff is not marked on the inside. It's seconds because of color or the way it spoiled on the cardboard. Apparently they Mark it at the end. The seconds never get marked. Maybe I'll email them to find out what ply thread equates to diameter.

This stuff is not marked on the inside. It's seconds because of color or the way it spoiled on the cardboard. Apparently they Mark it at the end. The seconds never get marked. Maybe I'll email them to find out what ply thread equates to diameter.

Oh that sucks. I guess I would just do a bunch of test lines on some scrap. That way you can at least find the look you are after.

This might help:

About 4 messages down ...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55977&hl=%2Bthread+%2Bsize+%2Bchart#entry359041

Also:

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

I'm pretty sure I saw a more complete thread size chart somewhere recently, but darned if I can remember where it was.

Hope that helps anyway!

Bill