Creed

Third Holster, first for someone else

This is the third holster I've built and the first one for someone else. My cousin wanted one, but had some very specific criteria, such as Small of Back, Out Side Waistband, and with clips for easy removal.

I was worried about the clips and making it a stable tight to the body fit, but solved that by making slits in the leather to slide the clip down inbetween the two pieces and putting a bolt through all three pieces (two layers leather and clip). I also made slits in both sides so that the clips could be reversed so that it could be worn IWB if he so desires. Also with the clips reversed it could be worn facing the other direction on the right hip.

What I've learned is that I need to do more work on the pattern/design. I seem to brainstorm and design on the fly and I think if I designed the pattern first my quality would be better. Also, I have been cutting the leather with sheers and did for about half of this project and then changed to using a razor blade with multiple passes. Also, I need alot of help on my edges. I have never burnished anything before and it shows. If I had more time to work on this project I think I could make them better, but with limited time to get it done (cousin's b-day is tomorrow).

If you have any suggestions or critique or ideas for how to improve and what to improve please let me know.

Thanks

2720474730059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2468611400059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2143157540059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2494633390059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

2961567960059560750S600x600Q85.jpg

Looks like you've got the right ideathumbsup.gif A couple thing I would focus on:

1-Complete your stitch line (see blue lines). Not only will it give your holster a more finished look, but it will strengthen the edge so it's not just relying on your contact cement to help keep it the edges from seperating down the road.

2- In my opinion, the most important feature on the holster is being able to acheive an easy, natural firing grip during the draw. I'd recommend leaving some space between your gun's grip and the upper edge of the holster (see red lines)

As far as the edges go, check out the pinned tutorial called "cornfused" at the top of the Gun Holsters, Rifle Slings and Knife Sheathes section. Hope this helps!

-Adam

leatherworker.jpg

post-8447-125340698018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rock76

I'm new to making holsters, but not to wearing them. As was said above you need some more room to grasp the grip, and reinforce the edges with your stitching. Also a steeper angle twords the strong hand will aid in a more natural draw stroke and easier presentation. Look at Galcos SOB for an example of the angle. Be caefull with clips on an OWB they get to flopping around from the few I tried and hurt the draw stroke. Lastly, reinforce the mouth of the holster to aid in reholstering after a presentation. Good start though. Make sure your cousin knows the dangers of that weapon placement to his spine in case of a fall or blow to the back. Sorry just the paramedic coming out...Dave

opplanet-galco-small-of-back-concealment-holsters.png

This is a Galco SOB right hand draw.

Edited by medicdave

I'm new to making holsters, but not to wearing them. As was said above you need some more room to grasp the grip, and reinforce the edges with your stitching. Also a steeper angle twords the strong hand will aid in a more natural draw stroke and easier presentation. Look at Galcos SOB for an example of the angle. Be caefull with clips on an OWB they get to flopping around from the few I tried and hurt the draw stroke. Lastly, reinforce the mouth of the holster to aid in reholstering after a presentation. Good start though. Make sure your cousin knows the dangers of that weapon placement to his spine in case of a fall or blow to the back. Sorry just the paramedic coming out...Dave

opplanet-galco-small-of-back-concealment-holsters.png

This is a Galco SOB right hand draw.

well he liked that one well enough to have me make him another one, but this time I convinced him that he didn't need clips and showed him the above pic and he wants one like that. And his brother wants one as well for his Walther knock-off....so I'll post those up as well when I get them made up. I'm also going to spend more time making a pattern on this one so hopefully I can improve my quality.

THanks,

Justin

Ok, so here is the follow up for my cousin, I followed the pattern of that Galco posted above for reference. I also tried some different thing like using a nice adhesive to hold the holster together during construction. This is also the first holster I built with best slots and a tunnel. I made the tunnel to wrap around the bend of the holster to make sure the holster is not loose on the belt and holds very tight to the body, it also seems to help with retention. I was just worried about the gun falling out with this design with such a steep cant. I am happier with the edges but there is still alot of room for improvement. I'll guess I'll get another try with this design for his brothers walther knock-off.

here it is, what should I work on now?

1016092342.jpg

1016092343.jpg

1016092343a.jpg

1016092345.jpg

1016092345a.jpg

1016092345b.jpg

1016092346.jpg

1016092347.jpg

post-8413-125578663553_thumb.jpg

post-8413-125578665014_thumb.jpg

post-8413-125578666018_thumb.jpg