rinigado

Questions About My (New To Me) Con Sew 255 Machine

I'm new to these boards, and new to the whole process of sewing heavier materials. I just bought a consew 255B to allow me to sew non-saddle-style motorcycle seats and a bit of furniture (so, more flexible weights of leather and vinyl). The machine has a few bits though that I'm hoping some of the fine folks here can help explain.

I've attached several images here.

Two of the pictures show the insides of the machine behind the end cover (the one that covers the presser assemblies). There looks to be the end of a small spring that's hanging off a screw (look for the highlighted circle in one picture and then a better view in another closeup picture). Any ideas what the other chunk of that spring might have been attached to??

One picture shows the back of the machine, where the lifter lever would be. But there's nothing there. I'm wondering what parts I'd need to track down (the lever of course!) to remedy that.

And the last picture shows the top of the machine. The thread guide is in a hole to the left of the oil window, and the hole to the right of that window is plugged with something (something like jb weld or other filler).. most of the pictures of 255's I see have some kind of dial for oil control on the machine)...does this look normal?

thanks for any info you guys can offer. I'm anxious to start working/learning but want to make sure the machine is right before I get too far.

post-53890-0-64981200-1406602349_thumb.j

post-53890-0-52372500-1406602356_thumb.j

post-53890-0-84370700-1406602451_thumb.j

post-53890-0-98781500-1406602456_thumb.j

The Lever can be found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONSEW-255RB-S-N-PRESSER-BAR-LIFTER-PART-10659-/290723355426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b0765b22

But you also need the screw which comes from the right (when you look from behind) for attaching the lever. The screw serves as pivot point as well. I may have one if you can´t find one local but it comes form a Singer but should fit w/o problem. But I have to check first.

Not sure about the other 2 things but the spring is probably for holding an oil wick.

Do you have a parts list and instruction manual for your machine?

Edited by Constabulary

I'm in Los Angeles area which seems to have it's share of sewing equipment places, so should be able to track down the screw, but thanks for the help and the offer!

Also, makes sense about the wick holder since there's no wick currently there. I'm much happier if that's the case than if it's some broken spring :)

I would assume the oil reservoir on the top of the machine (where that clear window is) is what feeds oil into the missing wicks?

Consew offers free parts list to download. Just look for your type of machine and I think you`ll find all information you need.

Also, look for the parts number of the screw for the lever so you can be sure you don´t buy anything wrong.

http://www.consew.com/Resources/

And if you don´t have an instructional manual you can download it here:

http://www.consew.com/Files/112347/InstructionManuals/255RB-3.pdf

thanks for the pointers. after looking at the parts manual, it looks like the plugged hole in one of my photos is standard, I'm just missing the oil knob a little further to the left end of the machine (and some wicks, and an oil tray).

I finally got some time today to start setting up my machine, and I have my doubts that the seller is really a pro at servicing industrial machines, despite what his business card says. I put a new #22 needle in and when manually advancing the wheel, I could feel something grinding at the bottom of the needle travel. Turns out the needle was hitting the needle guard portion of the bobbin holder; I would have blamed the trip home but the needle the seller had in place to demo when I bought the machine has a section just below the eye that is noticeably ground down from this contact. I was able to adjust the machine to give some clearance and at least have the needle no longer colliding with anything.

Using 92 polyester thread and some scraps of lighter leather, I have tension dialed pretty high now on the top, but the stitches are still pulled through to the bottom. How do people decide the balance between top and bottom tension? I'll try slightly decreasing the bottom tension today but not sure if there's any opinion on how tight or loose either setting should be?

One other thing that raises a question, is that the bobbins that were supplied really fill up the bobbin holder, to the point that they rub a bit on the top clip when it's lowered (i.e. they seem a bit tall, and don't spin freely due to just a bit of rubbing on the top of the bobbin). Measuring shows they are "U" size bobbins. Can anyone confirm if a 255 (it might be a 255B or just a 255..no identifying plate/sticker on the front, so not sure) uses a U or M sized bobbin?

It looks like the same workings as the later Japanese built singer 211 machines ! They see great when you get them sorted , I had a none walking foot 211 some years ago that sewed through 6 layers of leather without batting an eyelid , the stitches were just a little small for my liking but that's the only bad thing I could say about them !!