Desert Moon

Wide Adjustable Hatbands

I am workng with a customer that sells cowboy hats and want me to start making hatbands for him. He wants them adjustable, normally a buckle set would work great, but he wants the bands 1 1'4 ". I feel that that big of a buckle would just look wrong. He would also like an american flag concho centered on the back, and on some another concho centered on the front. For these I would think that I need to have the band adjust from both sides. I made one with snaps on both sides but it looked unprofessional to say the least. I made one I am fairly happy with by putting 4 slots in each in spaced at 1/2 to get the 4" adjustment he wants, I then made a center piece of leather where the flag concho goes that is rectangle-ish tapered down to a strap on each side that goes through the loops on the band, gets folded over and held together with a decorative screw post.

This picture is the prototype the concho will go centeredd on the blank spot.

Not sure why I not happy with this but it just doesnt have that finshed look to me, If anyone has any suggestion of a better way to do this please share with me, Thanks

Mike

post-17204-0-00963900-1371994880_thumb.j

Mike;

Check this out, you might see something different.

https://www.google.c...biw=884&bih=482

You can step the strap down and use a buckle the same width as the larger part of the strap.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Have you considered using some Velcro in place of buckles?? I use that, plus some cotton webbing to make removable, washable sweatbands for my custom visors. Works pretty good for me, but I guess thats not exaftlywhat you're looking for. With a litle experimentation, you should be able to set up a couple of keepers, to help "hide" the raw look of the Velcro, and keep any loose ends from flopping about.

I make my hat bands like a ranger belt size the biller and chape for the buckle set you want to use make your hat band as wide as you want. Attached is an example.

post-15001-0-64946000-1372008232_thumb.j

Camano's example looks great.

For the conchos, they could be mounted on a slider with slots cut to allow the slide to be repositioned to centre them. Trouble is, the slider might have to be too wide.

Or, punch a few extra holes so the conchos can be moved by your seller, or the purchaser, and instructions to glue the threads so they don't come loose and fall off.

Difficult to make one size fits all. Something is always lost when you do that.

Tom

Thanks for all the replies, gave me some ideas. I agree Tom making one size fits all is not the best, but thats what the customer wants lol. I think I will try the ranger idea, I had considered that before but was envisioning the buckle to the rear where the concho needs to be, with it on the side it would be fine. The 1 st batch is a sample order will make several ways and let him decide which he likes for production. The only I will have to figure out is he wants words stamped down the side so the buckle might be in the way a little there, will try a velco one also I think.

I have tried using Chicago screws with multiple holes for sizing and also making them with the ranger belt look and I use a leather keeper to hold the extra. Just a thought.

ok guys here are some picture of what I came up with, thanks for all the ideas. Made 3 style for customer to choose from. 2 in the pucture and one with a buckle.

post-17204-0-26358900-1372299786_thumb.j

post-17204-0-09497700-1372299849_thumb.j