I just read the latest marketing article on here and realize one thing that's slipped away from me is a niche. When I first started selling my 'Mare Stare" jewelry it was too narrow of a niche and now that I'm doing custom work I'm trying to make anything and everything. For example recent custom orders; a checkbook cover, two belts and 4 rifle slings. I'm finding I never hit my comfort zone and therefore really never have a chance to sit back and breathe. Can you tell me what your niche is and how you found it? Thanks, Cheryl

IWB holsters for mainly 1911 style guns, . . . plus belts for them, . . . and mag carriers.

I do other stuff, . . . but that is my "main squeeze".

I stayed with it from a zero start, . . . and am looking for it to expand a bit as soon as I get my new shop open (in process of building it right now).

I think you do better when you heart is in what you do, . . . for example, . . . I've done two wallets, . . . and could not care less if I ever do another one. Lacing is not my thing.

I mess around a bit with chaps, . . . saddles, . . . but that is only for friends, . . . or for fun. A friend has two adorable girls in horses, . . . so whatever I can do to help them is kicks and giggles for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

I guess for me it was easy.. I started tooling dog collars, and they sold well from week 1. In the beginning, my niche was customized, handmade dog collars that stood out from the collars you normally find at a pet store. Dog collars were the reason I got into leatherworking, because I wanted to use a design of my own to make something awesome for my own dogs. Now, my niche is more my own art style. I have people messaging me looking for belts, guitar straps, archery bracers, etc. with a design they see on a dog collar I designed and tooled myself. While dog collars are still my priority and my largest profit-earner, I'm slowly branching off into other things.

Here's my interpretation, given my experiences selling for the last 2 years:

What you want to sell is your "style", that which makes your work unique from everyone else's. It's much simpler and easier to start off with one kind of product.. something that is frequently in demand, (in my case, dog collars, which works out well because it's a hot item on Etsy and is relatively generic), and build a reputation on that. Become very proficient at making this one thing (or couple of things). One reason for this is SEO (search engine optimization). If someone's looking for a custom dog collar, they'll find me because those keywords are prominent in pretty much every leatherworking project I've put out there on the Internet. Another reason is the impression you make on your customer. If they search for this custom item, and see that you make a lot of this item (and can see many photos of examples), they might see you as more of an expert on this type of item.

Once you've started building up a bit, you dabble in other things. Use your designs and techniques to make a different product with your style, and you can use your prior success to boost your new niche branch. You might need to adjust how you market your new item though. A new item I'd like to start marketing soon is archery armguards. My husband and I recently got into the target shooting hobby, and enjoy testing out new leather bracer prototypes. It's a short stretch to add some tooling and market those, however, this means I'll have to make rounds of some hunting shops in the area to get the word out, as armguards aren't in the same demand as dog collars and probably aren't searched for nearly as often on Etsy.

Marketing really is everything. I've been very lucky that the first niche I gravitated towards is popular on Etsy. Many other types of projects would require a lot more effort to promote. With your horse eye pendants, I think you would have more luck marketing to the equestrian folks. Perhaps you could offer to take custom orders using a photo of their horse's eye to give them something to remember their favourite equine by.

Just my take.. hope this helps!

Edit: I also wanted to add that custom work seems to be key to sales in the leatherworking world. One can buy a generic leather item pretty much everywhere (at various price and quality points), but not everyone sells a custom made leather item to the customers' specifications. Some leatherworkers might have success making generic things, but every last one of my sales has been for something custom.

Edited by lightingale

Dwight I started with guitar straps and still love to make them but have found musicians to be particularly cheap, LOL. I have sold three and all were to family members of the musicians. When I started at the indoor market last winter I did so by making a lot of little things I could sell to people on the spot, bracelets, bookmarks, my eye jewelry, an example of a portfolio and journal cover I could do on a custom basis. This summer is when it really got outta control and I ended up doing anything and everything people asked and I find all I am is tired and stressed trying to keep up. And I'm the only person I know who will go down on a price after the customer has already agreed to the higher price, LOL. I am not taking anymore custom orders right now until I get the ones I have off my plate. I am trying to prepare for a craft fair next month too while doing this stuff, and working with three different agencies on a grant which eats into my time. I hate paperwork but it's so very necessary. So in a way I'm trying to learn about the business aspects of the business while I'm running the business. I shouldn't complain about having too many custom orders but I feel like I haven't hit my stride yet since I walked in the door for the first time last November and set up a table and started selling. I have things I want to try, one of them is boxes because I collect them, but I just don't have the time to be creative right now.

Lightingale the last creative thing I did was sew three dog collars because my vet said she would let me sell them there for no commission so I did those while working on custom orders. I thought it was necessary to jump on that offer while it was still hot so I did three in three different sizes and styles. I enjoyed them but now think I should have taken at least one to the market with me this summer because everyone brings their dogs to the outside market. I'm batting blind on what's going to sell at the market or to my real time clients because they all want such different things. I think belts would be a good fit for me because I've sold more of those than anything else but I haven't had the time to make up a supply of examples. I took the time to make a cross body purse because I saw so many at the market and couldn't give it away although people thought it was beautiful. I had it for $20.00? I have a messenger bag I made myself that is always on display that people love but no one wants to pay the price. I carry projects, folders, my tablet and portfolio, even my pop in mine and I can't see making another one for less than $125.00 because they aren't easy to make. I feel almost like I'm too busy making things to figure out what I want to make which is crazy. Thank you both for your insights. Cheryl

Edited by DoubleC

Howdy Y'all,

I don't have the slightest idea where my "niche" would be here in Alabama. Fancy goods sold in New York would not be it and high end priced items would not fare well either. Location plays a big part if attempting to sell in the local area.

I have experimented with a few items on the net but don't seem to get it right as nothing selling for me, and they are relatively inexpensive items.

I have thrown in a few of the collectibles as I sell down my small estate and I just don't seem to have the "touch" when it comes to marketing. I won't use eBay or the other pay for sites as I believe their costs have gotten a bit out of line, especially for smaller items as I seem to sell.

What to make? Good question. Belts, holsters and some small cases seem to be the thing around here. Few leather bracelets, and fobs, now and then.

If I ever find the niche that works for me, it will be small items as best for me to work with at the time. Never will I attempt to make a saddle or something else so large. Doubt if I could pick it up these days, but still envy those so talented.

I enjoy doing folk art pieces and have passed a few on to others but still not a big market. I suppose I will be one of those that works with the medium out of pleasure derived. Keeps me out of trouble and keeps the mind working all the time. When I retire each evening, I find myself thinking of what I will be able to create the next day. At times, I dream up something original and enjoy creating the piece.

In a nutshell, I will be sure to announce the finding of my "niche", when I discover this elusive rascal.

God Bless everyone.

Ray

In a nutshell, I will be sure to announce the finding of my "niche", when I discover this elusive rascal. Ain't that the truth. Both of us hampered by customer demands, and similar in nature and scope yet so different. I want to find something I'm so good at people want to buy it but hampered by custom demands that feed me, and you wanna use your creativity too but also hampered by customer demands for small items you do over and over. I am trying so hard Ray to make a god of this but I can honestly say I have so many things running through my head I can't see the forest for the trees. It stays just out of sight and I need a day I think fishing and thinking, away from my house where everywhere I turn is work and also out of my own head a while. Thanks so much. Cheryl

Good morning, Cheryl.

A day away can be good for the soul, as well as a time to become inspired by something you encounter along the way.

I found that I have a tendency to take small bits of leather and begin making fobs of any shape and size from what is lying around, and it has become such an obsession that I am going to have to stop and find a new outlet. I must have a thousand or more, hanging all around the shop. Duh???????

I also get away every now and then. Just hop, in my case crawl, to the car and head for town, pick up a newspaper, read the obits, work the crossword, when it is not filled with impossible clues like, what shirt did Marco Polo wear when he conquered Mexico?, lol.

I'm not much of a tv fan, due to insanity of commercials I see, so I may grab a book and sit with my man "Peanut", and all the others, watching their antics and just "laying up sorry", as they say in these parts.

We can suffer burn out, even though we enjoy and love working with leather. Don't want that to happen, nor does anyone, so take that day away, fly off into another scene, and "lay up sorry", until the mind has time to refocus and feel excited about returning to the craft. It will always be there, waiting for your return when you have been, re-inspired, and well rested.

Wish we had some nearby transportation museum or something interesting nearby as I could sit and dream a bit of days gone by.

I admire skills of yesteryear and always amazed when I think of the ability they had, making some of the fantastic machines we enjoy today. Daydream a bit and wander off in wonderful dreams of what has been and how fortunate we have been, then we may find a way to get to that elusive, "niche".

Take a break Cheryl, and have a wonderful time.

God Bless.

Ray

Thank you Ray. I know I need a day away and just haven't 'scheduled' it yet. Waited a little long for the fishing trip, snowed today :) But I am going to take that day even if it's just a few hours. Thanks so much for your words. Cheryl

Ray alluded to getting your mind out of the daily grind and the worries associated with it. That's good stuff !!!!

One of my ways of doing that is just having many interests, . . . and being willing to add new ones to your repertoire.

A few years ago, . . . I made a knife sheath for a hand made knife, . . . outside was suede, . . . inside was rawhide, . . . added some bling spots, . . . researched how native Americans wore theirs, . . . found they only used one slot and the sheath went inside their sash/belt/string, whatever they were wearing. It is one of my display pictures on my website. Learned a lot from it, . . . and did it in my "spare" time, . . . as a break from the day-to-day.

Also did a gun bag out of suede for the same customer, . . . added a 2400 bead USMC beaded patch on the top, . . . learned how to bead, . . . had a lot of fun, . . . found out that those who want beads from me better have deep pockets.

I made a copy of Duke's western rig he wore for the last 10 westerns or so, including the money belt, . . . along with Clint Eastwoods spaghetti western rough-out rig.

These all cost me $$$ to produce, . . . easily got my money back on Ebay, . . . but here is the key: it opened my horizons to techniques I experimented with on each, . . . some things I found I liked, . . . some I found that I ain't doin' no more, . . . and it was a learning experience.

My first IWB holster was done that way, . . . found out I liked doing them, . . . and belts, . . . and mag carriers, . . . plus I make a $$$ or two on them, . . . so I have stayed there.

But at the same time, . . . I have a "Dwight" version of Lash Larue's whip, . . . been working on it for over 2 years, . . . didn't ask anyone how or anything, . . . I'm inventing it as I go, . . . it's fun to learn that way, . . . a buddy has ponied up the "I'll buy it" as soon as it's finished. I'll get my leather money back, . . . plus have the experience, . . . and who knows, . . . may add that to the line.

It's all a learning process. Plus it is an adaptation process. Where would Ford be if they were still producing only the Model T?? Where would Chrysler be if they still were pushing the Plymouth and the Desoto?

Gotta try new things, . . . experience new techniques, . . . and never be satiisfied with "I've arrived", . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I took the time to make a cross body purse because I saw so many at the market and couldn't give it away although people thought it was beautiful. I had it for $20.00? I have a messenger bag I made myself that is always on display that people love but no one wants to pay the price. I carry projects, folders, my tablet and portfolio, even my pop in mine and I can't see making another one for less than $125.00 because they aren't easy to make.

Cheryl,

I know this is a little off subject, but one issue to consider is if you are not selling because you are overpriced or if your product is overpriced for the quality of the product. It sounds as if you had the purse priced competitively, so look at your work with a critical eye. It was hard to make or I don't know how are not of concern to those buying your stuff. They care that it is pretty and they like it enough to give you money for it. All handmade work needs to excede the quality of store work or there is no reason to pay extra for handmade. People at shows and your friends will tell you they like your work. Ask someone who hates you, a 13 year old kid (who has yet to learn social grace) or a total randome stranger who does not know you are the maker if they like the work. You will get an hoest critique that way. Then, LISTEN TO THEM! Do not tell them why they are wrong, learn where you can change and improve.

Aaron

Dwight you are so right. I'm happiest when I'm doing something new just because, not because it's a custom order. I get anxious doing new things that are custom which is usually just me getting in my own way because the price to replace the leather has never been so bad I couldn't afford it. But I feel like it has to come out perfect the first time and I don't know why. But it does relax me when I do those projects even though they don't usually work out right the first time.

Aaron I misspoke a little about the purse. I had a woman that wanted to buy it and I wouldn't sell it because the strap wasn't sewn on securely enough. I told her I would repair that, or make her another one and she went to get change and never came back.....you get that a lot at the FMs.

Just today I had a friend who is very honest got over everyone of my products on etsy and I need to go and take some things down and also change prices on over 1/2 of them. I think that's a very good idea. And not all of them did she think I should reduce, a couple she thought was under-priced. But it is so helpful to get some fresh eyes on your products for things like that.

I hope you all know I'm feeling better with each reply, honestly. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I have found that your niche today may not be your niche tomorrow, especially if your primary audience is the local Craft Fair/Market/Show group or the Etsy viewers. I attend at least two fairs/markets/shows per month alone and they are always in conjunction with a major event and/or at highly prominent locations in my area and every day the "public interest" is in something different. I have been working with leather for over 40 years now and have always maintained my styling towards the traditional carved & tooled designs but have also incorporated the simplistic stamped patterns and even added Celtic and a smattering of tribal type patterns (that seems to be the big "kick" right now). I have found that taking on custom orders for what the people are looking for is the most profitable but I make it clear up front that things don't happen overnight. I provide realistic quotes that ensure that I am compensated fairly for my time and materials (although nowhere near what the "mentors" or Etsy suggest as it can not be achieved as we are ultimately dealing with lower income groups who still think that the Mega-Mart's of the world provide a quality item that is a value) and then I quote them a realistic time frame based on the level of work and where it all plays into what I already have on the board. Your niche should be your work which is your product, the leather parts that it goes on and the way that it is all put together is the medium that you put your product on, nothing more.

Don't start selling yourself off by lowering your prices just because someone says your price is a little too high, especially if the quality of your work is where the price suggests. Take a long look at some of the leather goods being sold on Etsy or other sites and compare how your work looks against theirs, then look at the pricing against yours and see how it all stacks up. If your work is obviously cleaner, crisper and more professional yet your price is lower than what the lesser product is, you can get your answer on that topic. No matter what, just remember that your product is YOU and YOUR WORK.

By the way Cheryl, I to have an Etsy shop. You can find it at https://www.etsy.com/shop/rhardiecustomleather.

Hi NV. I think you hit the nail on the head about my niche not staying the same. I'm doing a new business plan simply because it's change so much in a year. Maybe that's what's causing the whole uneasiness. This thing took off better than I expected and I'm having a hard time pinning down why. I feel like I'm so busy I don't have time to think about what I want to do next. I don't mean I'm getting rich from it yet, just that I have more work than I expected and I am making more than I expected in such a short time. I've only really been doing this since November of 2013 as far as having venues to sell from other than just word of mouth. I am excited about how well it's done but also a little scared I think.

BTW you have a nice Etsy shop and your work is excellent. I am going to revamp mine this afternoon when I get a little time for myself :) Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Trying out making different things might help you find your niche, but a lot of different things can be trouble. So what sort of things are people requesting you to make? Is there anything that they ask you for on more than one occasion? If you get multiple requests for a particular type of item, especially if they are making the request because they have seen something similar you have already made, it might mean that is going to be your niche. For the most part your customers and your market are going to tell you what your niche is. You have to find something that has a demand for it (customers asking for it) and that you enjoy making or at least that you won't loose money on. It's hard to come up with a product and then create a market for it. Most entrepenuers fail because they come up with a great idea, but the idea doesn't solve any problems in the market place or doesn't fill a need.

Bob

Hi Bob. Right now I have 14 custom orders. Now that should be a good thing except to me it feels a little overwhelming. I have a bracelet, a bracelet fix, three belts a checkbook cover, 4 rifle slings and 4 leather bags for dominoes. I think the belt orders have come from people seeing other things I've done but the rest is simply stuff people ask me if I could do. I have around 100.00 in cash I'll get when these are done because I always take a deposit. I got all the money for the bags first because it was an etsy order last night and I charged 50.00. So I have 150.00 laying around on these. That may not be much for some people but it is me. But I'm a disorganized mess. I'm starting today with the first one waiting and just going from there but it's truly going to take me a while to finish these since I have so many other things going on right now, working toward a grant, a craft fair coming up this month and the last FM this Sat. The grant process alone is 3 meetings a week. My heads just spins around in circles over all this stuff, but I just finished up my email and decided I'm working until the bags, one belt and bracelet are done today because the bags are on a time crunch. I probably should have turned them down yesterday but I need more feedback at etsy. I know I can push through this but as you can see it's a pretty wide arrangement of things people want. I like making the pouches because I get to use my cobra on those and they are money makers too. I'm going to try and cut out two more while I'm at it for the craft fair. Then do the checkbook cover Sunday, and the two belts monday and the rifle slings Tuesday before my meetings start all over. I can't do the bracelet fix until I get rivets in my order this month. I am truly a nervous wreck and looking for ways to keep this from happening in the future but most of my money comes from custom orders. Thanks for helping Bob. Cheryl

I do remember when you thought you could not sell anything. Now another dilemma. Life is twisted that way. Now I am waiting for my turn. You have come far. Joe

Thank you Joe. I really have in a short time and I am so excited about the things I haven't even tried yet. I've seen your things Joe and they are nice. Maybe we need to market differently? Cheryl