cre8vmynd

Piece Of Chrome Tan Between Two Veg Tan Layers

I'm making a brief case where the inside divider (which is chrome tanned) will be sandwhiched between the gusset, and front pannel (both are veg tan). I've read of the difficulty in burnishing chrome tan leather and was wondering what my options are for finishing this type of edge. Thanks.

Casey...

Suround the chrome tanned leather with a strip of veg tan the same thickness. The edges will then be three layers of burnishable veg tan.

I'm making a brief case where the inside divider (which is chrome tanned) will be sandwhiched between the gusset, and front pannel (both are veg tan). I've read of the difficulty in burnishing chrome tan leather and was wondering what my options are for finishing this type of edge. Thanks.

Casey...

The chrome tanned leather isn't going to burnish very well. It may look decent when you finish but it will not last. I would skive the chrome tanned leather thin and hold it back away from the edge just enough where the two veg tanned pieces can glue together and take a good burnish. Assuming this edge is sewn, the stitching will insure nothing comes apart, although if glued properly you may be able to eliminate the stitching. The other alternative is to wrap the edge with a thin veg tanned binding which would cover the edge completely. Hope this helps....

Happy New Year!

Bobby

The chrome tanned leather isn't going to burnish very well. It may look decent when you finish but it will not last. I would skive the chrome tanned leather thin and hold it back away from the edge just enough where the two veg tanned pieces can glue together and take a good burnish. Assuming this edge is sewn, the stitching will insure nothing comes apart, although if glued properly you may be able to eliminate the stitching. The other alternative is to wrap the edge with a thin veg tanned binding which would cover the edge completely. Hope this helps....

Happy New Year!

Bobby

Great idea, thanks. I think this is the way i'll go.

Casey...