Guy W

Getting My First Order Of Leather And Tools Today

well i placed an order with springfield leather last week for some tools and leather and other odds and ends. i am expecting to get everything in today and i'll be attempting to make my first iwb holster. i have a feeling i'll be tossing out some leather tomorrow but i guess it's a learning process so it's all in the name of science.

this forum has been a lot of help already and i can't thank the people that have spent the time to offer help enough. so wish me luck and if you have any last minute tips for me before i start i am sure i could use them.

thanks,

Guy

Take your time, try to have your process planned and visualize the end product. Other than that, read read read, practice practice practice.

Post what you come up with whether you are pleased with it or not and let the group offer suggestions where warranted.

Good luck and have fun!!

Kevin

Best piece of advice that I can offer you - slow down and enjoy the work.

If you are moving in haste you may end up with many many scraped projects - slow down and enjoy the work.

Alot of great people here to help if needed.

+1 to lonestar tactical about slowing down and enjoying the work.

What really helped me my starting out was prefabricating my projects out of poster board. Trial and error doesn't hurt so bad at $.99 a sheet compared to $6.99 a square foot. Plus, you have templates to work from for the future if you want them.

You have already had some great advise. Slow down! Conceptualize the process, because it is a process. Plan a masterpiece and accept how the pathways take you to get there. Anyone can learn technique it has been much harder for me to not jump at my first idea and to look for different ways to make the ideas better. Learn your tools and how to use them as second nature. Your tools are mostly use specific. That is; do not try to make the tool do something it was not made to do. Start small, get good at the basics and then perfect your masterpieces. Gather all the ideas you can from all the resources you can find. This site is superb. You-tube has tons of good help, once you get through the messes. Start searching general concepts. How to sew leather, how to make a coin purse, etc. Expect flaws, accept them, eliminate them and work toward making the piece you first pictured, the best you can. Good luck, and enjoy your special creativity. From everything I know about this site, there are many helping, encouraging friends here to get you over any obstacle.

How long did it take them to ship your order? I placed an order for three small items (to the tune of $60+) Monday evening and it still hasn't shipped yet.

How long did it take them to ship your order? I placed an order for three small items (to the tune of $60+) Monday evening and it still hasn't shipped yet.

Springfield Leather shipping has slowed down. I used to order from them and it would take a day or so, now it averages a week before my order is shipped. My last order was placed on a Saturday and they shipped the following Friday. All items were in stock, the only thing is I have them split my instrument strap blanks, but that should add a few hours not days and I always have them do that, I don't know if they are just that busy or what. Still great leather from them but it takes a while. Chief

Yeah, I was afraid of that...well, it looks like I will need to find another source to buy my supplies from now on if they cannot ship and faster than that...that's ridiculous. I know there are other suppliers that do ship quickly.

Hopefully, someone will see my want-to-buy ad for a lace cutter...then I can cut my own lace. :)

I came to leather work after building guitars, so I felt a tremendous since of gratification after completing leather crafts because its relatively quick compared to building an entire guitar. The best part is if you buy a whole side or double shoulder of leather, mistakes are cheap! I find that I have to challenge myself each build to do something more "complicated" or "involved", and that is how I continue to learn and progress. But don't get me wrong, take your time and enjoy like others have said.

Edited by Colt W Knight