Here is my first pair of handmade footwear. The uppers are cheap chrome from the scrap bin at Springfield Leather. They have a full, handsewn welt and a cemented rubber outsole. Definitely have the shoe bug now!

Casey...

post-17000-011502500 1307759103_thumb.jp

post-17000-009050600 1307759111_thumb.jp

post-17000-013527800 1307759123_thumb.jp

Edited by cre8vmynd

Awesome! - how do they feel?

Here is my first pair of handmade footwear. The uppers are cheap chrome from the scrap bin at Springfield Leather. They have a full, handsewn welt and a cemented rubber outsole. Definitely have the shoe bug now!

Casey...

very cool

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

alb, they're very light and quite comfy. Only thing is that i didn't put any topline tape in, so I can tell the topline will stretch pretty quickly making them a bit loose. Which is OK since they'll probably be put on the shelf for safe keeping as my first pair anyway.

Casey...

They look excellent, especially for a first pair!

What puzzles me about making shoes is how you get the bottom of the shoe inside; a) comfy on your foot, and B) even on both sides if that makes sense. I mean the moulding to accommodate the arches of the foot and such.

Thank you Corvus. Well, I used about a 1/4 inch veg tan insole and as I understand it, it will mold to the foot over time. A leather insole and the 12 iron (1/4 inch) rubber out sole I used makes them very comfortable to walk in. As far as extra arch support I suppose you could "cheat" and buy an arch support insert, but one method in handmade shoes is called "insole up in waist". It involves molding the insole up into the waist of the last so that when the shoe is complete that leather nestles up in the waist of the foot to help provide support.

I'm still new to this so hopefully I made some sense, and haven't led you astray with misinformation. If you're wanting to make shoes, I can send you a PM with all the places I've found information over the last couple of years.

Casey...

Thank you Corvus. Well, I used about a 1/4 inch veg tan insole and as I understand it, it will mold to the foot over time. A leather insole and the 12 iron (1/4 inch) rubber out sole I used makes them very comfortable to walk in. As far as extra arch support I suppose you could "cheat" and buy an arch support insert, but one method in handmade shoes is called "insole up in waist". It involves molding the insole up into the waist of the last so that when the shoe is complete that leather nestles up in the waist of the foot to help provide support.

I'm still new to this so hopefully I made some sense, and haven't led you astray with misinformation. If you're wanting to make shoes, I can send you a PM with all the places I've found information over the last couple of years.

Casey...

Thanks for the explanation Casey, I think I understand what you mean but the cheat option sounds good to me! :-) I'm a long way off making any of my own footwear but I would be interested to look through the links and who knows, one of these days ...

Those are so very cool. I am SO tempted to make my next pair of sandals instead of spending another $100 for another pair of Birks. I am in complete admiration.