ponygirl

Chap and Chink Patterns

I'm hoping to get my paws on some patterns for chinks, armitas, cutting chaps and shotgun chaps. Does anyone know if you can find these patterns for free online? Anyone willing to share theirs? I'd be happy to pay a small fee and shipping if you have some you could mail me. I've got a couple chink patterns, but would consider another one. I'm really hoping to get my hands on a nice cutting chap pattern and a pattern for armitas. Now that the sewing machine is sitting in my garage I can't wait to make something so help a girl out! :) Any info on chap and yoke weight and leather type/provider preferences is appreciated as well! thanks!

Mr. Klenda has good ones and very inexpensive:

http://www.klendasaddlery.com/patterns.htm

for chap leather i have gotten some really nice sides from waterhouse and peter is great to deal with. i have the same trouble finding pattern's so i got a pair and have made my ownbuy cutting up a lot of brown paper till you get the fit and look you want.

When I started, I just borrowed every pair I could and took patterns and pictures of them.

You could offer a small gift, or future discount, to those that lend you thier chinks, as an incentive. I made a cattle counter for a friend that lent me 3 pairs of hers. :rolleyes:

I have plenty of chinks to use for patterns but unfortunately no cutting chaps around. Nobody I know has them. I'm going to order some chink patterns from Mr. Klenda, but if anyone knows where I can get cutting chap patterns that would be great! I don't want to buy a $400 pair of chaps just to make a pattern off em!

I have Patterns and a DVD on how to make chinks. You can see them at www.cowcampsaddlery.com I also have other horse tack patterns as well.

Mark

One way that you can get a set of patterns for cutters or others for that matter is:

Take a pair of jeans that fit the way you like your chaps to fit , then mark right down the front center of the leg just like a crease, and also from the belt area in front down around the crotch area and around the top of the leg all the way around to the outseam with a magic marker. Then cut them down and around the top line from the belt to the out seam, and then down the outseam to the floor. When you open the resulting material up and lay it flat on your table, you have the beginning of a pattern. From there it's a matter of size for whomever you are making chaps for. Remember that line you drew down the from the center? Use that as a starting point to adjust pattern for the indviduals size and fit. Also, don't forget when you are laying out your pattern on the leather to leave extra material to be cut later for fringe, or a flap, also leave at least and extra 4" at the bottom as cutters like their chaps to cover their foot, at least the guys up here do.

Hope that helps?

Bob