UKRay

My new clicking press

Just bought myself a new toy. Towed it 200 miles home and had to crane it over the fence... got it stuck in the doorway but eventually got it into place. it works like a dream!

Anyone know how old it is?

Ray

press_in_doorway.jpg

press_1.jpg

press_2.jpg

post-6314-1249737919_thumb.jpg

post-6314-1249737933_thumb.jpg

post-6314-1249737948_thumb.jpg

Edited by UKRay

That's a very cool machine, Ray! I have a small mechanical clicker press, and I love mine, too. It's quite a different design than yours, though. How many tons of pressure is it rated for? Is there a brand name on it anywhere?

Kate

The curved spokes on the flywheel have a Victorian look . . . Victorians didn't like straight stuff! Does it have any useful words on the plate at the front?

If you have to spend any amount of time pedalling it, you'll soon wither away to nothing! ;)

The story is that it was removed from a shoe manufacturing company that closed down about three years ago, It had been purchased new by the company in or around 1895. The machine is in fabulous condition with all original paint intact - apart from some obvious signs of wear. There is a manufacturer's plate on the front that says: ' The Standard Engineering Company' Leicester, England' .

Standard started in 1894 as a Leicester based family engineering business, manufacturing a wide range of shoe making equipment. In the 1970’s it was purchased by Halma plc which is now based in Kettering. I just wondered if anyone had seen anything like it before.

From experience I would guess it exerts a pressure of around 6-8 tons as my strip knives crack though 3.5mm thick leather like butter.

A side benefit: it is akin to a gymnasium machine as when you have finished cutting out your leather you feel like you have had a workout! I love using it so much I may lose weight... Nah - only kidding!

This afternoon I cut thirty dog collars in fifteen minutes without really trying. It is pretty fast as well as powerful.

that looks like it would be fun just about everytime you go to click something.

Nice find.

What a cool looking machine my shop press looks even more plain and boring now.

Man O Man..........you always find the good stuff.

Happy Clicking..................and Thank you so much for the comment............

That's a beautiful press Ray! I've never seen one like that....

That's a beautiful press Ray! I've never seen one like that....

Hi Ray,

My Grandfather had one very similar to that, I believe he used it for cutting shoe soles and heels, using heavy, cast steel knives. I think it must have been too much work for him, as it went for scrap, which I always thought was a terrible shame, he then just cut his stuff by hand!

Steve

Having had a couple of days to play with the new press I'm even more pleased with it. I'm glad it seems to meet with people's approval. It is an uncommon thing isn't it?

Steve, I can well believe it would cut out soles but it would probably take a fair bit of energy on the treadle to build up enough momentum to deal with something that tough under the press. If your grandfather was getting on in years I can well understand that he would rather use a knife - but I don't have to agree with him!

Thanks for all the kind words guys - I'm exceedingly pleased with the beastie but has anyone got any ideas for a good name for it?

Ray

Thanks for all the kind words guys - I'm exceedingly pleased with the beastie but has anyone got any ideas for a good name for it?

How about...

Bam-Bam

Snaggletooth

Bluto

Thumper

Kate

That is a great find ray. Im a sucker for old equipment like that. When I had my woodworking shop I was always finding cool old tools to play with, makes me sad the old shop is gone looking at your find.

That certainly looks like a useful piece of kit, and I'm reassured that I got the dating about right - smack in the Victorian era! I still buy bits and pieces from Standard Engineering . . . they're still making machinery for the shoe trade.

A side benefit: it is akin to a gymnasium machine as when you have finished cutting out your leather you feel like you have had a workout!

My daughter's rowing machine has been sitting in my garage for the past five years. I wonder if I could convert it to a clicking press? Any ideas . . ? :rolleyes2:

So, how's that work? You pedal up some speed, then engage some kind of clutch to drive your piston down?

Doug

The machine works with a rotary action – in other words the press is treadled by pressing the pedal up and down. The connecting rod attached to the foot pedal turns the big black flywheel which turns the big cogwheel inside the circular top casing. The cogwheel then turns the offset cam which powers the ram – this means the ram is constantly going up and down as long as the flywheel is turning so fingers need to be kept out of the way.

You adjust the height of the cut by turning the platen (check out the heavy duty thread) and locking it off with the big knurled screw on the side of the casing.

When the big flywheel is turning it sounds really cool – a very slight chatter of cog teeth, the whirr of the wheel and the sound of greased metal coming together and parting. It is almost silent.

It takes around 1/2 minute to stop turning after you stop treadling...

Kate, given that it looks like a prop from a Steampunk movie, I guess I was kinda looking for a Victorian sounding name, tho Thumper is pretty cool!