Spinner

Half Tanned Leather

Hey folks, I'm trying to find a supplier of half tanned leather in the US. I have found a few individuals that do it, but I'd like to find a supplier that carries it normally to help with costs and the fact that it's for more of learning/experimenting. I'm trying to learn an old world technique that works best with half tanned leather but it appears to be more common in Europe than here.

Thanks,

Chris

Hey folks, I'm trying to find a supplier of half tanned leather in the US. I have found a few individuals that do it, but I'd like to find a supplier that carries it normally to help with costs and the fact that it's for more of learning/experimenting. I'm trying to learn an old world technique that works best with half tanned leather but it appears to be more common in Europe than here.

Thanks,

Chris

Let me know if you find it--I never have. From what I can tell, it's only available in Europe.

A little more info on what I am looking for...

Halftanned leather

This is a material that is mostly known in Scandinavia. The tanning process is stopped before the leather is fully tanned. This gives the leather a "raw" core. When I make the sheath, the leather is soaked in warm water and formed to the knife. I then let the sheath completly dry on the knife. The leather shrinks to a perfect fit to the knife and the "raw" core turns hard as steel.

Let me know if you find it--I never have. From what I can tell, it's only available in Europe.

Hey Noah,

After some extensive research last night I found two U.S. based distributors for Brisa (Finnish Knifemaking Supply Co.) that have 'access to their full catalog'. I'm in the process of contacting them to see if they can order the leather as well and if so, how long/how much. If not, my boss has friends in Germany that could do a mail chain to get it here. I'll let you know how it progresses.

Chris

Well, the US distributors didn't work out, but I did speak with someone at Brisa Knifemaking Supply in Finland and they ship to the US quite often.

Dropping you a line Noah, to see if you want to piggyback on my order of leather to get a few pieces yourself.

Chris