jepszafa

Prototype+Pattern Making Leather Craftsman

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a talented leather craftsman to help make my dream come true by helping me with my prototypes.

I only have sketches/ drawings so will need pattern making + production in a large range of styles + colours.

I am really looking for a team player and hopefully this sketch of ideas will grow into a successful company. I am wanting to learn, listen to any advice about the design.

I am still deciding btwn handcrafting and machine finish.... (as a uni student I do not think I can afford hand sewn goods.)

I would like to discuss:

• I am located in Australia. How this would complicate working together as a team + ideas/opion on the design while working on it.
  • Fees for multiple design styles, colours and in sizes.
  • Hand or machine finish.
  • Design protection. How can I be certain that these wont be copied and sold at markets or some etc.
  • My designs are maily leather but also involve copper detailing etc.

Kind regards,

Jessica

We have a few Aussies on this forum. Hopefully, someone will be able to get you the help you need. Best of luck!

Hi JessicaWe are in south Africa but am sure we can help.Www.leatherproducts.co.za

Jessica, I PM'd you a week or so ago about just starting up my own business and being willing to help you but never received a reply. Are you still looking for help? Cheryl

Did you have any luck with this?

Brett

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a talented leather craftsman to help make my dream come true by helping me with my prototypes.

I only have sketches/ drawings so will need pattern making + production in a large range of styles + colours.

I am really looking for a team player and hopefully this sketch of ideas will grow into a successful company. I am wanting to learn, listen to any advice about the design.

I am still deciding btwn handcrafting and machine finish.... (as a uni student I do not think I can afford hand sewn goods.)

I would like to discuss:

• I am located in Australia. How this would complicate working together as a team + ideas/opion on the design while working on it.
  • Fees for multiple design styles, colours and in sizes.
  • Hand or machine finish.
  • Design protection. How can I be certain that these wont be copied and sold at markets or some etc.
  • My designs are maily leather but also involve copper detailing etc.

Kind regards,

Jessica

You can copyright designs and apply for international patents, but the sad truth of the matter is this: If you have a popular design that sells well, IT WILL BE COPIED. At first, there will be a few people like someone on here that wants to try the design from an educational sense - learning to make things. Then you'll see the knock off artists, and soon afterward you'll see your design, and perhaps even your logo on cheap knock offs in some store.

A perfect example of this is a particular style of belt. Some member on here started working with the idea to make Pre-curved belts, because most belts develop a curve to them over time. By building the belt already curved, it cut down on the 'break in' period, and was expected to be somewhat more comfortable for women (due to the fact that most women have more "hip flare" than men).

Less than 3 months after that discussion on this forum, I saw pre-curved belts made out of crap called 'leather' (and some vinyl) at the local Walmart....all made in China. So if you have a good idea, be in a position to mass produce and mass market the product to give you a jump on the knock off artists.

That's what I told her in my PM Mike, but I never heard from her, not sure she was ever back. Cheryl