Django57

Snaps And Rivet Setting Tool

Hi i am just getting started into making some leather products just for family and friends gifts and such , i have just put an order in for most of the tools , dyes and finishes i think i will need to get started but i have a problem with what type of rivet and snap tools to buy , i only intend to make wallets , watch straps and maybe key fobs to start of with , so my question is , what size and what rivet and snap setting tool would you recommend i buy ? apologies if i haven't explained myself properly.

This one has served me well. There are a couple things you can't do with it. I ended up heading to my local fabric store when I needed to set a grommet and got a kit that came with some grommets and a setter. Same thing with some glove snaps. I use this for all my other snaps and jiffy rivets.

http://springfieldleather.com/29077/Setter%2CSnap-All-RivetDlxKit6Pc/

Brilliant thank you Cyberthrasher just what i needed , Cheers

As stated - it's not really "set all", but it will get you started. Most of the snaps I use are the "line" type (line 20, line 24). I've actually found that, when using the included anvil, I end up with a little round spot that sticks out of my snap cap. So, now I either use the flat side of the anvil or just hammer it directly on my granite. Basically, the dished out portions of the anvil are too deep and the let the head distort. I thought it was my snaps at first, then I realized I just needed a flatter surface to stop them from disfiguring.

Cheers , I've just been looking on ebay as i live in Spain might have to look on the Tandy site , i promised the wife i wouldn't spend too much money on this new hobby , i'm already keeping my head down .

Well, just get what you can as you need it. I think Tandy sells a similar set, not sure about your local stores though. I'm pretty sure Springfield will ship to Spain, but the charges may be prohibitive to you.

Just did some research. There is Tandy in Spain. Here's their local page for the various setters they carry.

http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-eur/home/department/tools/setters-anvils/setters-anvils.aspx

I'm pretty sure this is the same as the one I posted from Springfield.

http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-eur/home/department/tools/setters-anvils/8105-00.aspx

Cheers i might just keep an eye on ebay you never know , thank you for your help .