Im am new a leather work and want to make CCW holsters I just got my first samples from Wickett & Craig and Im looking at there skirting and harness leather already dyed in black. Can this leather be used for holsters ? I see most use Oak and Im wondering why . I guess what Im asking is what is the difference between leathers like Skirting , Eng Bridal , Latigo, Herman Oak ?

I really like the look of the black skirting in my samples, I would love to buy a piece and try a holster with it .

You can always call Springfield Leather too....they will sell smaller cut pieces until you decide what you want and can also answer those questions. Beats buying a whole lot of leather and not being what you want or need. There are also a lot of posts on holster making if you do a search of the topics you need help with. I just started doing holsters too and get most of my info there.

Hey Mike. Thanks for your comment of the FB page. I have heard and read great reviews in regards to W&C leather. However, I have never used them. I exclusively use Hermann Oak. Most of the time I order Grade B sides from Springfield Leather. With Springfield you can order some squares at a relatively decent price. I mainly use the shoulder area of the hide for holsters and the back area for belts. Both W&C and Hermann Oak are superb tanners and you won't go wrong with either. Single and double shoulders are probably the most common cuts for holsters.

Some of those pre dyed leathers will come with finish on them. It makes it tougher to wet them for molding. I use pre dyed on my hybrid OWB holsters. But I can't get it to mold as well as natural leather. So my all leather stuff is done with natural and dyed or vinegrooned. I know some of the guys here work with pre dyed so maybe they can give you better advice. But that's been my experience with trying to mold and bone pre dyed leather by hand. Not knocking W&C, everything I've heard about them is good. Just the nature of what I'm using and what a buddy of mine has seen.

Mike I usually purchase my Hermann Oak leather from either Weaver Leather or Springfield. I have been using it for a year and have had no complaints on the quality of the leather. To purchase leather directly from the Hermann Oak Tannery you need to purchase huge amounts. That is why I usually purchase small batches from Springfield or Weaver. Hell you can even purchase 2 square feet at Springfield to see if you like the quality.

I occasionally buy leather from Springfield and the people are fantastic to do business with but I like to buy my leather from Weaver Leather in Mt Hope Ohio due to the fact it is an hour away from me and I can hand select my leather.

I plan on purchasing a couple sides this week from Wickett and Craig Tannery though. I want to see there quality also. They also offer drum dyed skirting will split to any weight you need. I will let you know how they compare when the sides arrive. I hear the quality is excellent. For holster making you want the skirting leather. The English Bridle, harness and the Latigo leathers won't mold well at all for holster making. They are "hot stuffed" with oil and waxes already and wet molding will not work.

Edited by triage1998