Sign in to follow this  
Buddha Jones

Removing Glued Cardboard Backing

Hello ladies and gentlemen...

I have recently acquired a beautifully aged leather bag that I want to re-purpose and while tearing it down I noticed that it was stiffened by a cardboard insert glued into place. Is there a way that I can remove that cardboard without ruining the leather? It is the one on the right. Thanks in advance for any input, it is greatly appreciated!

$%28KGrHqZ,%21oQE9fp,U5l0BPn+VoHh-g%7E%7E60_58.JPG

Edited by Buddha Jones

Can you tell what type of glue it is? If you can't just peel it off, then I would try a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the glue up.

Can you tell what type of glue it is? If you can't just peel it off, then I would try a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the glue up.

Hmm, I don't have any hair but fortunately my wife does!! :yeah:I will try that when I get home and see what I can make out. I will post a picture of the inside if that will help. I am thinking that it may be 20-30 year old glue as well though... :(

Should be fine. Luthiers heat up old glue and remove it on guitars all the time.

Should be fine. Luthiers heat up old glue and remove it on guitars all the time.

That's not working... can I soak it in water to soften up the cardboard and the use some sandpaper to get it of?

That might work, but I'd probably use it as a last resort and try to keep the leather as dry as possible in the process. You might just try to cut through the glue first with a razor blade to separate it.