Sign in to follow this  
BeltFanDan

Various Problems with Edges

Hello;

I'm another noob to the site and leatherworking so go easy on me.

I've been doing leather straps for championship title belts as a side hobby. I seem to the general idea down but could use some advice.

First problems is straight edges. I use a box cutter and straight edge to cut the strap. I am using either 7/8 or 8/9 oz Live Oak tooling shoulders. I am human so sometimes when I cut the strap out, there are places where it is not as straight as I would like. There seems to be many tools on how to straighten it out but I am confused and would like expert advice on how to straighten it out.

My next problem is the edges themselves. I would like to give a rounded edge to the straps. I've seen various tools that do this. I have a #3 and #4 Keen Edger tool from Tandy but I don't think I'm using it correctly. Again, advice please. Am I using the incorrect tools or I'm just clueless as to how to use it.

The 3rd issue is beveling.

Here is the edge I did:

leather003si1.jpg

I would like to bevel the inside of all me edges similar to how Reggie Parks does it on his straps seen here

xtitle03gg3.jpg

I have a few bevel tools but again, I think I'm using them incorrectly. The only way I can get a smooth bevel like that, is by putting the toe of the tool in the line and manually dragging it with pressure. If I try hammering the tool, I am left with various impression marks instead of a uniform bevel. Again, my inexperience showing up. I've watch tons of tooling videos on youtube and other sites and try to do what they teach but it seems I am doing something wrong.

Also, Edge Kote. What is the deal with it? I was advised I should use it. I'm putting 1-2oz black garment leather on the back of the belt. I thought Edge Kote was a thicker substance that would make the edges look like one clean piece. To me it just seems like a bottle of dye which I could just do to the strap when I dye it. Did I get a bad bottle? Wrong product?

Again, please be paitent on me as I'm stumbling my way through most of this.

Thanks.

hey, the ones i do have the laced edge........

Luke, only certain belts use lacing such as the Domed Globe and Hogan 84 which is what you posted. In the future I would like to do lacing but I'm starting with regular tooling right now.

Would you mind sharing with me where you got those plates from?

Edited by BeltFanDan

bfd...... i do freelance work for Mid-West Wrestling Belts....

there is a lot of belts i top stich and the ones with Laced edges i do those.

That is great. I have been dealing with Dave and Ed for years. I had no idea you worked with them. I probably have owned numerous belts you did.

How old is that picture?

Edited by BeltFanDan

probably 3 years ago.........

I've tried to answer your questions as I can, all my responses are in BOLD.

First problems is straight edges.

You're probably cutting them straight 'enough', but the process of tooling them deforms them slightly. Try attaching painter's tape to the flesh side, or rubber cementing a non-flexible backing to it for the duration of tooling.

My next problem is the edges themselves. I would like to give a rounded edge to the straps. I've seen various tools that do this. I have a #3 and #4 Keen Edger tool from Tandy but I don't think I'm using it correctly. Again, advice please. Am I using the incorrect tools or I'm just clueless as to how to use it. To get a really nice round edge, use the edger to cut down the corners. To round it, you might need to go to sand paper. For me, a few passes with the edger and I've got 4-7 'faces' on the edge. Moisten and hit it with a burnishing stick/ wheel that's got the desired curve.

The 3rd issue is beveling. Case and start bevelling. Use a lighter mallet until you get the hang of it- so what if you have to go over it again? Make the first strike, then move 2/3 the width of the beveller, strike again. Move 2/3, strike, repeat as necessary. This is called 'walking' a tool. You'll develop a consistant swing of the mallet which should give consistant impressions with the tool.

I would like to bevel the inside of all me edges similar to how Reggie Parks does it on his straps seen here:[pic removed for space]It looks like he walked a pear shader around the perimeter, just adding a little more width than a beveler does.

I have a few bevel tools but again, I think I'm using them incorrectly. see above comment on 'walking' a tool

Also, Edge Kote. What is the deal with it? I was advised I should use it. I'm putting 1-2oz black garment leather on the back of the belt. I thought Edge Kote was a thicker substance that would make the edges look like one clean piece. To me it just seems like a bottle of dye which I could just do to the strap when I dye it. Did I get a bad bottle? Wrong product? Edge coat looks a lot like dye when it's wet. As it dries, it will form a glossy surface texture. For best results, you still need to smooth the edges, and burnishing them first will turn out some very nice edges.

Again, please be paitent on me as I'm stumbling my way through most of this. Welcome to Leatherworker.net!! There's lots of folks here who're willing to help, especially for a newcomer.

Thanks. You're absolutely welcome. We're glad to have you here.