... haven't posted much lately, but I thought that I would share my latest project. A molded handbag, taken from Val Michael's "The Leatherworking Handbag"

I have run into a major snag and am working on that right now. In a nutshell, the liner does not fit the molded bag front. (It is another piece, molded with the grain side, down) The exterior portion, I believe, shrunk after tsking the part off of the mold because of the force required to pull down the leather over the mold.

post-33768-0-54902200-1420980441_thumb.j

post-33768-0-96643000-1420980462_thumb.j

post-33768-0-81850100-1420980489_thumb.j

post-33768-0-90472500-1420980518_thumb.j

How thick is the liner Bob? Can it be molded to the bag front instead of being molded separately?

Edited by Tree Reaper

Tree reaper, I used 5/6 oz for the exterior and 3/4 for the liner.

Thanks for the input, i think thar I am going to play with that idea.

Bob

My apologies for the typing errors - i really need to slow down before I hit the "post" button!

What's the reason for a liner, if it's a matter of aesthetics you can always flock it.

Two to three coats of petrifier from Home Hardware will stiffen up the bag front for molding the liner or you can build a form around the finished front.

Hi Bob.

Looking good so far.

Are you moulding the liner on the same mould as the outer?

If you are the liner will never fit because of material thickness.

Redochre, yes, I am and that's exactly the probem. I am making a flat plastic piece that will fit over the mold and on the base to compensate for that difference. It wil be used only when I mold the liner.

Bob, this bag looks like it's going to be really cool. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Tree Reaper, the reason for the liner is because my wife wants it lined (LOL). I'll stop in at Home Hardware and check that Petrifier stuff out.

Monica, thanks!

Awesome. Love the 2nd shot with bag out of the mold and the pricking marks made.

Thanks, thefanninator,

Yeah that's a cool shot but I kinda screwed up the pricking line. I used my saddler's dividers and tried to follow the crease at the bottom of the molded part to give me a straight line. However, the dividers are tapered at the pointed ends and this made it difficult to keep the line perfectly parallel.

My best practice on the smaller cases I do is to simply mark a straight line, on the three edges with a ruler to the point that the corner radius(s) start and then complete the radius with the dividers. Just didn't think to do it on this bag.

Check out how crisp the fold line is around the bottom in this shot after taking the top frame off of the mold.post-33768-0-46746800-1421031271_thumb.j

Edited by Basically Bob

Excellent

Chris