Got tired of molding kydex clips one-bend-at-a-time so I put together a forming jig, then got to thinking, is there already such a device available somewhere for sale? My jig does really well as a first attempt, but I'm sure a commercially made device would be more accurate and form a better clip. Anyone know of one?

I know you can buy the clips... but an actual forming jig, I've never heard of. I think most companies would rather sell the clips than let folks in on how to make thier own. Maybe you're on to something ;-)

I'd like to see some of your clips.

Nooj

Here's the resulting first clip for a tuckable PF9 holster I am working on. The clip measures 2" wide for reference.

post-10631-053983300 1318862332_thumb.jp

post-10631-086767000 1318862377_thumb.jp

And here is the clip in the jig.

post-10631-076562400 1318862389_thumb.jp

Hey- cool jig! I bet it makes short work of the forming part. What thickness kydex are you using, and how sturdy is it?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Nooj

Yes, much better than heat - bend - cool - heat - bend - cool - heat - bend - cool. Simply heat the top 2.5" of the Kydex strip, line it up in the jig, fold it up and hold it closed for about a minute to cool. Next version will be more accurate, add a better back-bend to the end of the clip, have a swing-away core for easier Kydex positioning, have a properly sized core (hence the reason this first run has a leather-wrapped core), and possibly add the ability to do "C" clips and quick-release style clips.

The Kydex is .093" in thickness and can be bought at Springfield Leather. For the indended use, it is more than adequate but I would probably bump up to the next thickness if I needed to make "C" clips or "J" clips.

Yes, much better than heat - bend - cool - heat - bend - cool - heat - bend - cool. Simply heat the top 2.5" of the Kydex strip, line it up in the jig, fold it up and hold it closed for about a minute to cool. Next version will be more accurate, add a better back-bend to the end of the clip, have a swing-away core for easier Kydex positioning, have a properly sized core (hence the reason this first run has a leather-wrapped core), and possibly add the ability to do "C" clips and quick-release style clips.

The Kydex is .093" in thickness and can be bought at Springfield Leather. For the indended use, it is more than adequate but I would probably bump up to the next thickness if I needed to make "C" clips or "J" clips.

Are you thinking about making them to sell at any point? I know I would maybe be interested..

At the moment, no. I have too little time to get my current workload done without other projects. Once I get everything squared away and am 100% happy with the design of the jig, I have no problems putting together a tutorial on how to build one.

At the moment, no. I have too little time to get my current workload done without other projects. Once I get everything squared away and am 100% happy with the design of the jig, I have no problems putting together a tutorial on how to build one.

That would be great, thanks.

Most all Commercially Produced Kydex products are made from a Granular Kydex Pellet mixture put under pressure causing it to heat and solidify in molds simular to Injection Molds used for other plastic products.

I do not see the Commercially made Clips being done in another manner really.

Do like the jig you put together and if it were me I would probably keep with the idea and improve upon it as you can.