The main bag is 7/8oz bison leather with 4/5oz vegtan trim. The inside is two compartments, the large main compartment and a zippered pocket accessible from the rear of the bag. I made this bag primarily to test the "reborn" Juki LU563 I recently retro-fitted with a servo motor and adjusted for 138 thread.

I absolutely love this bag. Really nice. And bison is my favorite. I'm going to try to buy some soon for myself!

I got this particular hide on sale during one of the local Tandy's clearance events. It's very nice to work with, but lends better to machine sewing on the flat due to the supple nature of the hide. I used a polyester 138 thread for this bag at about 6 to the inch on the leather trim and 5 on the bag seams. I actually screwed this bag up completely by not paying attention to how I was putting in the gusset...resulting in a backwards bag that I considered tossing before I had the epihany to take it apart and sew it back together as an inside out bag :)

Well it looks awesome! I might have to get some bison to try myself. Great bag.

Looks great! I like the variation of color in the hide. It looks well sewn and a good design overall. If you wouldn't have mentioned your mistake I wouldn't even have noticed. These well made bags beat any designer bags out there as far as durability. Take pride in your work as it is one of a kind my friend.

God Bless!

Ralph Garcia

Very nice, love the colors. Did you dye the veg tan, or is it just oiled?

Gotta watch the Tandy flyers for some of that buffalo hide now... :)

I dyed the vegtan using Ecoflow water stain in dark brown, followed by several applications of their cream conditioner and "tenderizing" of the leather (roll over the edge of the workbench (face up of course) from corner to corner, which loosens up the fibers somewhat (like conditioning sand paper).

MLD - thank you for your comments. I'm very particular about my own work. I only shared my misadventures with this bag because I'm particularly proud of how I managed to save the piece, and posting about mistakes is how other people might avoid them :)

Edited by MadMorbius