benlilly1

Missing Parts

I'm going to make my 4 yr. old nephew a belt. I have the buckle, keeper and belt tip. In the package I'm missing a part for the tip. The stud is solid. I was going to use a rivet cap but I'm afraid it won't stay on. I don't know what comes in the packages since this was an older buckle from the 70's or 80's. Any suggestions??

post-19391-0-29976600-1358375947_thumb.j

post-19391-0-61115400-1358375964_thumb.j

You can a small brad to hold the tip on. That's what has come with ones i have used.

Just wanted to say i didn't look at the picture before i commented. I though it was a buckle with a hole in the end for a brad.

Edited by dirtclod

It looks kind of like a copper rivet, the kind you place a small washer over, then peen the end until it wraps around the washer.

You should be able to peen the end of the post, don't need anything else

Thanks all for the suggestions! JLSleather... It has no opening on the end. Are you sure I won't bend it over?? I'm afraid to try it.

that is cast pewter and will shatter if you try to peen it...it needs a copper washer (so it is soft enough to bend without a lot of pressure) and put it on similar to doing a copper rivet.......BUT DON"T PEEN IT!!! Either that or if you have patience and a very small drill bit. you can cross drill it and pit a cotter pin and washer on it.............but that might cause injury so not recommended

Well, I may just not use it. Since I'm going to have to make a hole in the end to accept the tip. Thanks for all the ideas though.

No, I aint 'sure' cuz I'm lookin at a photo. But, I'd smack it.

The stud extends 1/8" passed where the leather would sit...so I'm guessing that maybe I SHOULD peen it? Because you wouldn't leave it sticking out farther than leather right?

I've peened 'em in the past, just can't tell from the pic if that's the same material. Ones i had were soft enough, piece of leather on the bench, upside down, tap with rivet setter. The 'extra' you're taliin about spreads, an yer done.

I think you were on the right track in your first post! I've fitted these using a well-fitting rivet cap . . . just tight enough to need a push to fit on the stud. Place the belt-end face down on a piece of wood, and give the rivet head a sharp tap with a metal hammer. The stud will spread inside the rivet head, just enough to hold it in place. Believe me . . . it works!

Another option would be to modify the stud by drilling and tapping it so that something like a Chicago screw could be used to secure it. This option seems a bit better in the long run since it can be removed and attached to a replacement belt later on. It seems like a little bit of work, but the metal is soft would make it quite easy to shorten the stud, drill the appropriately sized hole, and tap it.

The real question is if you want to go through all that work for the possibility of being able to reuse the hardware on a different belt at a later date.

If that was mine I would use a washer and peen it.

If it breaks, grind it clean and cement a regular post to it and cap it.

Or punch a hole in the belt to fit, epoxy the leather to the metal tip, then cut or file off the excess post, or take the post off completely and just epoxy to the belt.

Tom

Northmount, I was actually thinking just that. I might just glue it and cut off the excess. Thanks everyone for all the great ideas.