Jazznow

Looking For A Longtime Course

Hello folks, 

I'm currently looking for a special kind of leatherworking-course and hope one of you is able to help me or knows somebody who does. 

I'm 25 know and doing leatherwork for 3 years. I learned everything I know by book, by the internet or by experimenting around. I think I am able to do the most common things with leather (sewing, carving, dyeing and so on), but I don't have an idea whether I'm doing all these things right. So I want to learn it in a course, a workshop or anything like this. Alas, in Germany it is not easy to find something like this. 

Let me tell you what I want: 

-        It should be a long time course about 2-4 weeks. As I know the basics I'm looking for an opportunity to learn the tipps and tricks of the craft. This is why I think that 3-5-day-courses will not fit my needs.

-        I don't need to realize a specific project in that time and the tutor to look after me all the time. Instead of that, I would like to assist an experienced craftsman, who is doing his day-to-day business. I want to watch him, ask a lot of questions, maybe help him a little. When I do things by myself, I want him to take an occasional look to make sure I am doing everything right. 

-        Another possibility would be a normal well-structured course about two or more weeks where I am together with other students and where we work on one big or some smaller projects and learn everything important. 

-        Since I am from Germany, I would prefer a workshop in Europe (always wanted to visit UK or Ireland btw^^), but I would fly to the United States, too, if I think that it would be the right thing for me. I need a location which I can reach with public transports.

-        I think, I would need some cheap opportunity to sleep, like a motel, a little apartment or a single room I can rent.

- I think, adequate payment is something to talk about in PNs...

I know, that are some special interests I have, so I can only hope that someone is here at the forum, who says: hey, I always wanted someone I can order around, who gets me my coffee, who cleans the workshop, while I'm drinking my closing time beer :) 

I would take a course as a shoemaker, too. But I have no experience in that domain. 

Greetings,

Jazznow

Edited by Jazznow

Jazznow you might want to contact these people http://www.leathercourses.co.uk/ I haven't done any courses with them but I have read Valeries book which is very good. Most courses do seem to be fairly short but you never know they might be able to do an extended one or possibly know someone who does, hope this might be of some help.

Cheers,

Clair

Thank you for that hint. I did not know that Homepage before and will take a look. 

Maybe some other guys around have some useful ideas :)

Greetings,

Jazznow

Hi Try here, he does week courses, and is very helpful, so may do more; I have been on one and really enjoyed it. Good luck and get in touch if you come to the UK

Zoe

Edited by Zoej