Sign in to follow this  
alb

saddle id

Can anyone give me any information on this saddle or maker?

THanks in advance.

Ann

Looks to be the same vintage as my saddle, posted above. At least the buckstitching seems to give away the age. We will see what people say about mine...maybe it will help with yours.

That style and dark oil color was very popular in the mid 70 to mid 80 era, laced rope edge, deep equitation seat, for showing .

The conchos look sterling, perhaps if you took one off the back could be marked and give a clue to the saddle maker. The dee ring for the breast collar look stainless but could have been added later as it appears laced on, is the rigging plate stainless? stainless would be most likely the 80's instead of earlier.

My guess would be perhaps Victor, Ryon, Billy Cook or Billy Royal or similar as they were popular makers for the showing crowd.

There should be a serial number somewhere, check inside and out of the stirrup leathers and under the front jockey.

That looks like it could clean up real nice and still be of value to the arab and morgan crowd that still show in the dark oil and fancy lacing. The conchos alone are worth a good bit.

I spent many many years showing and this is definately from that era.

I'm inclined to think that this saddles goes back to the late 50's, early 60's if it has the double rigged cinch plate. The conchos at that time would have been Alpace or Mexican or German which is a copper, nickel zinc alloy which meant it wouldn't rust and was quite durable. The metal on the cantle is probably stainless.

Can anyone give me any information on this saddle or maker?

THanks in advance.

Ann

Hi Ann

What you have there is a vintage equitation style show saddle. These were da bomb on the AQHA & Arabian show circuits throughout the 80's. The seat is styled to help you hold your position so that the judge can evaluate your 'equitation'. lol! I don't know the maker but, Billy Cook, Circle Y, Broken Horn, Silver Royal and many of the more popular saddle lines all had their version of the equitation saddle.

The color and the popular cantle and skirt lacing date it to the mid 80's more or less.

Thank you all for the replies. A friend of the owner had brought this in and didn't know the history.

It turns out this saddle was actually made for the current owner. It was made in California in 1968 by a saddlemaker named Juan Pena and he paid $400 for it. The saddle shop is no longer in business.

Thanks again,

Ann

I win.....I guessed the closest! Lol